Offered job in Brussels. Is the salary livable?

Hi,

I'm new here and considering a job offer to move to Brussels from the UK. I have been offered €5,000 / month gross salary. I am not married but my girlfriend will be moving with me. We have a very comfortable life in the UK (small city, not london) where we are able to eat out when we like etc.

Is this gross salary enough to live a comfortable life style including renting an apartment close to the city centre in Brussels? My girlfriend will also look for a job if we move but that won't be guaranteed as neither of us speak much French.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Hi,

It is à very good salary. But be careful this kind of salary must be keep confidential... Otherwise you could have some bad surprize...

Hi,

I advice you to ask what's the net salary will be, since Belgium have a high tax system, you must know how much "you" will be paid.

Hi,

You make me laugh with your question. In Belgium, the calculation of net salary is based on several conditions:
- family situation
- Number of dependents
- business sector
- Number of years of seniority

Sorry but I'm not Santa Claus to give you the answer you expect.

The taxable amount can vary from 25% to 55% of your wages

To have a correct approximate value, it is best to do with the accounting department of your employer.

5000 Euros a month is more than enough for renting a nice apartment and having good comfortable life , All the best

No it is not if you are accustomed to eat out It means that you'll have 3400-3500 euro net which is so and so if you don't have your own house

Hey just the thread I've been looking for.

I have been offered a job in Brussels with a gross annual salary of 38 380 Euro. Is that a livable salary? I am a bit worried now reading your post as I wont be making anything near 5000 euro/month.

A gross annual salary of 38 380 Euro = +/- €1900,- netto a month... Avarage  (gross) salary in Brussels = +/- € 3700,-

Hi aminaali,

Sure your wages may seem low. But you're the only one who has all the information. Nobody on the site knows your situation, the work you'll do, the benefits you have negotiated ...

Dirk Lagast, thank you for the calculation :)

Hi phipiemar, I will be working for an NGO. I am an EU citizen so my health care is already covered. I will get allowance for transport each month but thats the only benefit I will get. If the average salary is € 3700,- than € 1900,- is surely a struggle to live on when the rent for a room in average is € 600,- per month...?

Hi Aminaali,

It is true that this salary can be considered as "light". But many people are living with. And some people receive even less. Now as I said earlier, it depends only on the function / time / conditions negotiated / ...

However, I think that after a certain time to adapt, you'll be able to live decently. To plan your budget easily, uses the old rule 3. 1/3 of income for housing costs (rent, lease expenses, ...), 1/3 of income for living expenses (food, various credit , fun, ...), 1/3 of income for the rest (unexpected, savings, ...)