Curitiba / São José dos Pinhais

Hello,
my name is Thumb and I m from Germany. I would like to ask if you people are so kind and answer me some questions regarding my upcoming stay in Curitiba or São José dos Pinhais.
I have to work for a company which is based on the Av. Rui Barbosa (SJP) from the 2nd until the 13th of November. So I Need some advices where I should stay. In Curitiba maybe a Hotel in Batel (close to a mall) or a Hotel in SJP which is more close to the company. I will have a 10h workday and therefore I m thinking the traffic could be to heavy in the morning and evening? Is it safe to travel with a rented car or should I go by Taxi everyday because I do not know the area.
Your suggestions are much appreciated.
Many thanx in advance.
Kind Regards,
Thumb

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/BANNER_zps3602e73e.jpg

Hello Thumb,

First of all, on behalf of everybody here at Expat-blog and all of the other members on the Brazil Forum, welcome on board. I hope your participation here will be both enjoyable and informative.

If you're going to be working that many hours per day you will likely not have a whole lot of time to be driving for pleasure anyway. You'll be paying a great deal for a car rental, while your car sits in the company parking lot all day. Does that really make a lot of sense?

Also, the motorists in Brazil (all of Brazil) are among the most imprudent and aggressive in the whole world. More people are killed in traffic accidents in this country that are killed in some wars. You'd do well to avoid driving altogether.

I'd suggest that you find accommodations as close to your workplace as possible. That will significantly decrease your commute time, and thus more time to sleep. It will also be a much cheaper commute by taxi, which aren't extremely expensive at any rate. You should ask for the cellular phone number of a driver that gives you good service, you will probably be able to arrange a regular pick-up to and from work, especially if you give a small tip on top of the fare. Provided that the cab ride isn't too long you'll probably end up spending around the same as the rental car, possibly slightly less, and you won't have the headaches involved with rentals or with driving.

I don't know the area around Curitiba or SJP, so I'm hoping that one of our other members who lives in the area can help you with your questions about where's the best place to live.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello James,

many thanks for your warm welcome and all your suggestions as well. I m thinking if I stay in a hotel in SJP it could be boring in the evenings and it will be more "entertaining" for me in Curitiba. The cost for the car doesn't bothers me because my company is paying that so if I have a car I will be more flexible. On the other hand I do not like to drive around in the dark evening after I finished my 10h work day.
Anyway hope that somebody can provide me some more information regarding SJP. I googled the Bourbon Hotel which is close to the Airport this should be alright.... will see!
Best Regards from Germany,
Thumb

You may want to Google "Pousadas em São José dos Pinhais" a pousada is like a B&B, but may not have breakfast. They're usually much cheaper than hotels and you can rent by the month in most of them. Check it out, you might find something close to your workplace. Generally they're smaller family run places like a small hotel/motel with a much more informal atmosphere. Usually you get treated like family and you'll meet lots of nice people there too.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hallo Thumb,

Wie geht's Ihnen? Woher kommst du?
Ich spreche ein bichen Deutsche. Ich habe arbeitet aus Dusseldorf und Liptstadt. :)

as an european also sending abroad and working in the metropolitan region of Curitiba.
I suggest to rent a car and live in Batel neighborhood. It will take around 30-45m in the morning and in the evening between your place and work.
For a short stay, there are good options for Suites Hotels in Batel, Curitiba:
Hotels Pestana
Harbor Suites Batel
Slaviero Suites ....
Check booking and tripadvisor.

I am living in Batel, I can tell you that if you are going to SJP you will be very disappointed on your free time....

Anyway, if you want other informations send me a PM or an email to *********************

MfG
Jorge

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your phone number on a public forum for your own security

Hi Jorge,

Thanks so very much for passing along this information. It will be a great help to Thumb for sure.

One thing, for security reasons I've asked our moderators to edit out your personal e-mail address. We strongly discourage our members from posting contact information in the forums. It should only be exchanged in the private message system. Hope you understand.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello James,

sure I understand ;)

no problem

Have a nice day
Jorge

Hello Thumb!

About renting a car am totally agree with james, unless you drive here in brasil and you know the regulations and everything, because you will have a problem with the parking, it is not so safe to leave your car in the street, you can rent a car for the weekend, but the public transportaion is well organized here in this city.

about living in the city, you have a great options like ecoville, batel, barigui
and there is a website called shortstaycuritiba.com you can have a look at it, to know more about the options.

even with your working schedule i don´t recommend living in SJP, Curitiba the city is way better.

any thing you need just PM me.

have a great week.
Mudar

Hello Mudar,
Many thanks for your advice! I will not go for a rented car because my colleagues over there will pick me up and so on. Regarding the accommodation I pick a good hotel in Batel.
Will come back later on with some questions....
Thanks again!
Regards