Buying, Taxing and Insuring a car.

How does one go about buying say, a Citroen Berlingo Diesel LHD 2nd hand?  Insuring and taxing it if one is not a resident.

We need a car to travel across Europe which would be RHD and would need to be sold losing quite a bit of money because it's RHD.  However when one arrives in Bulgaria I understand it takes a few months to get residency permits.  So what does one do for a car in the meanwhile.

Can one register a company, then register the car to the company whilst being a non resident (maybe by taking us a 6/12 month rental anyway).  Will the insurance allow european travel for say 3 months like most UK insurance does.

My problem would then be solved in a cheap flight out to Bulgaria, buying, insuring and registering the car, driving it back to UK picking up the last part of our bits and bobs (pets) and then returning to Bulgaria.

Any ideas on this as I really do not want to barrel through Europe in a RHD car anyway?

You can buy the car and make a contract with the seller, and the car would still be registered on the sellers name, but it would be your obligation to pay all the tax and insurance on the car and you keep the contract in leu of the title. That way you jump through the hoop of not having to register it on your name until you get residency. I know someone that drives a vehicle this way already 4 years. It would be ok to have insurance on the car. I would suggest full coverage, regardless of age, especially for theft not just liability, which the full coverage should not be that bad at all. As far as EU travel, there is the so called "green card" you buy to travel within the EU with your BG registered car, which is not expensive at all and it is mandatory for BG registered cars traveling outside of Bulgaria.

But you can easily bring your UK car here, with your UK insurance. Drive it here till you get your residency and then register it here in Bulgaria once you get your residency. Also, cars from the UK are quite inexpensive. You will see many cars here in BG imported with rt. side steering wheel. The only issue is when you are overtaking.

Thank you for that information.  I noted in one newspaper report that Bulgaria had been noted for having the cheapest new cars on the market in Europe.  Quotes were given for some €8500 in 4 door family sized cars from some Japanese and Korean manufactureers.

Most of the cars I have seen advertised in the 2nd hand market on Bulgarian sites have had very hile mileage, well over 100,000 Km.  Can anyone give a rough figure for something like a Fiat Doblo, Citroen Berlingo etc about five years old and say 60,000 Km.

I expect that Bulgarian cars are kept by their owners longer but what worries me is given the stste of Bulgarian roads and the servicing, I suspect that many Bulgarian cars have a hard life so I am trying to look for robust models.

Also I am trying to pick simple uncomplicated diesel cars not only for good Miles/Km per gallon but easy to work on and simple and robust with good carrying capacity like a van but not a commercial van i.e. like the Fiat Doblo.

If I gave a figure of €4000 to €5000 available for a second hand car like the above what would that get you?  Thanks in anticipation any help and knowledge is very welcome indeed.

This is one of the biggest web sites for vehicles sale in Bulgaria: http://www.mobile.bg/index_koli.html
However, it is in Bulgarian...

One thing to be warren about... MAJOR... many of the western cars are imported to BG from the EU and the millage is re-wined... so if you see a car with lets say 100K miles, it is most likely 250K miles.

That is why I suggested that you bring your own car from the UK. And yes, the roads are terrible and the cars get worn out very fast... thus needs fixing... The good news is, a good mechanic in BG will not cost you much. Parts will be the same as in the UK though, if new. As in another post by Absent was noted, if you do not know some locals, that you are close to... you will get ripped off, unfortunately... So take it on the safe side, bring your own car from the UK at least for the beginning, one you can count on for a while.

Sure 4/5K euros will get you a good car here, but again, what are the chances that you will not be ripped off?!?! because you are an expat.

If I turn up with my RHD vehicle are their problems re-registering it?  I would presume that I would need to have residents status before I could register it, insure it and tax it.

I have been also told that if you have extended stays in Bulgaria with a foreign registered car you need a vignette and there is insurance available.  Is that correct.

I preume on registering the car you would need the current UK registration document, the current MOT and anything else.

I'm sorry if this appears long winded but I'm trying to get a full picture and obviate any problems further down the road.  For example is there any restrictions on trailers or even caravans (if one were to do a full restoration job on a house).

LHD cars on reasonably low mileage are difficult to find at non-rip off prices.  Particularly vehicles like the Berlingo and the Doblo.  The other problem is insuring them, if you insure you car here you have to have a fixed address and most insurance companies expect that if you going abroad that it's going to be 3 odd months holiday, occassionally trips etc.

What they don't like is if you insure the car and push off after 3 months with the intention of spending the other nine abroad with no UK address.  They tend to drop you like a stone when you claim on an accident, lets face it insurance companies do not wish to pay out and are only too keen to invalidate you if they can.

jagd1 I just have to add something to my previous post... There is a limit of 14 days after you buy the car to register it on your name here in Bulgaria, and if you do not, then there is a fine of roughly 25 euros, which is hardly unbearable... Here is the link to the Motor Vehicle Department for BG: http://www.kat.mvr.bg/NewReg.htm However, it is on Bulgarian only. Things do change here quite often, so do not hold it against me if the fine is higher.

Also, I did not see anything that says you must have been a resident for certain period of time before you can register a vehicle on your name: http://www.kat.mvr.bg/RegDoc.htm Again, this is on Bulgarian only.

As far as the cars you are interested in... I do not know much. I only recall that French and Italian cars get worn out quite fast on the Bulgarian roads.

Yes there is a vignette - for a year it is only 67lv. which is roughly 35 euros. I know that Alianz is a very popular insurance in the UK, and they are present on the Bulgarian market as well. You should give them a call and ask more specific questions. Insurance in BG is much, much less than in the UK.

As of right now, no problems registering RHV in BG, insuring it or taxing it. You will find those quiet common here in BG imported either from the UK, ERIE or Japan. I am aware of the rip off strategy the insurance companies in the UK have. So, yes, it will be way less expensive to buy a car in BG and to register it, insure it, etc.

Do you have someone in BG that would be able to help you out? How do you plan on settling there? Sure, English is quite common, but not everywhere and in every business, especially government agencies here (as you see their web site does not even have english version).

I'm going to collate alot more information first and what we may do is close up here having got ready lo leave and for two/three months run down light to Bulgaria scout out what we want to do and where to start.

I am cautious in one sense of where and when we jump but I am determined once done to stay the course.  We have some time to get some working Bulgarian going and the basics of Cryllic as well so we are not completely blind to the local language.

There is still much road ahead to cover before we commit money and ourselves to a place person time and date.  But I take on board what you say and I am very wary of being scammed, it happens to so many Brits.

Look at all the Nigerian 419 scams.  After all on line who knows who you are, I could be someone trying to scam Bulgarians.

jagd1 asking ?s online in forum as like this is an excellent way to get information, links and hear experience from others. I am glad you do realize that scam is around the corner everywhere in the world, not just particularly in BG. I have experience in being scammed in IE and UK as well. So no one is protected to be scammed anywhere in the world, regardless of who you are.

Interesting topic, I will be spending several months of the year at Kosharitsa near Nessebar. driving out April and returning November of each year. I am currently looking on Ebay to purchase a left hand car and to drive it over purchasing the vinette tax at the point of entry. I then will find BG car insurance,whilst out there. (incidently BG car insurance insures the CAR and not the driver as in UK) I then can take my time in considering re-registering the car in BG and leaving it there when I return back to the UK, or simply driving back to UK for the winter months where upon I can re-mot-tax-insure and service the car for the journey back again in April.
There are so many options I can see that it can be confusing.
Watch out for the KAT Police they are lurking with speed guns in set up areas where they find it easy to catch unsuspecting motorists. If you drive with a UK Licence they catch you for 65 Lev.However, you are lucky they do not place points onto your UK Licence as yet!  If you drive with a BG Licence they do!
Also, look out and be advised where to park as Summer time in Nessebar and Sunny Beach they are making good money from lifting your car up on a lorry and taking it away! The signage for NO parking is very poor and sparce Dont do as the locals do or you will most definately be caught!
For those who like to rent a car, shop about there are companies that offer very realistic prices from 15 euro a day so dont pay 35.  Kind Regards to all on EXPAT.

Thanks for that info.  I think it is agreed that the state of Bulgarian roads would tend to dictate a pretty robust vehicle and/or something base on a commercial van.

I had been looking at the Fiat Doblo (which is also manufactured in Turkey now) or the Citroen Berlingo (which I believe will be manufactured in Hungry in due course).  Both of these are MPVs derived fom vans with good underpinnings and reasonable cheap parts.  In diesel form they are both capable of 50mpg plus to the gallon.  They are great load luggers each can carry 3 cu. metres each or up to 7 persons.  Citroen and Fiat are also planning significant market penetration in the near future.  Citroens sales to Russia for example were up 67% in 2009.

The obvious choice of the 4x4 suffers from terrible fuel consumption.  There are a good number of LHD vehicles on the market (see autotrader.co.uk and ebay.co.uk) but the Doblo and Berlingo get snapped up quickly.

Not to denigrate the country but, locally purchased cars I'm told have the habit of being wound back very often and their actual mileage is nearer the Starship Enterprise.  Buying a 2nd hand car in the UK is bad enough for traps and frauds so buying in a foreign language must be an experience.

Leaving your car in a country where it can reach -40c can have a terrible effect not only on your battery, but also on your oil and coolants leaving you with a cracked radiator or worse still engine block, hoses, seals etc.  So if your leaving it overwinter then proper lay-up proceedures need taking.

Point taken re the police, sadly moterists are easy targets compared to gangsters and organised crime.