Living in oslo

Hello all ,
  I am software engineer and planning to move to Oslo with my wife. How can I find an apartment there and around in what rent shall be best . p!ease help

Hello anchal009

In Norway we all use, both landlords and tenants a site called www.finn.no. Unfortunately it's in Norwegian, but perhaps you could try it out with google translate.

Here's the link directly to apartments for rent in Oslo:
http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/lett … RTY_TYPE=3

Rent in Norway is high, and especially so in Oslo, or any bigger city. But you'll get a fair overview of how much it will be. Don't forget that rent covers cable already installed, garbage and water. Rent does not include electricity, extra cable subscriptions and internet/ wifi. Electricity is expensive. Most apartments are unfurnished, but should have fridge, washing machine.

By law of rent, landlord can ask for a 3 months deposit on top of the first rent to be paid as you move in. The 3 months deposit is a security deposit, that is put in a closed account in the bank (deposit account - make sure it is). No one can touch it, until you move out. If the landlord find the apartment as it was, when you moved in, he will notify the bank to pay you back your deposit. So always, immediately after moving in, take pictures and notify the landlord if anything is out of order, broken or damaged. The contract on renting flats/houses in Norway is very strong for both tenant and landlord. And all contracts have a mutual agreement that if any of the parties wishes to break the contract, there will be a 3 months notice handed in, in writing, starting from the first in the following month. Make sure that the contract you sign is a standard contract for rent.

I put the last info in, as I think it's very useful and important to know when you rent in Norway.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot . The information is quite useful .But as per my information , Norwegians don't let their places on rent to Indians easily  . So you got any idea of any Indian / Sri Lankan / Pakistani families

Oslo is extremely multicultural, and you will find lots of Asian/ Arabic landlords. Don't worry about that.

You could be on to something, and I'm sorry to have to agree to it to some extent. But keep in mind that the market for tenants is extremely tough even for native Norwegians. Must have a job, couples often more favoured than single mothers and so on. However, as long as you're employed, which most landlords will emphasize, you shouldn't be facing problems. It would favour you lots if the company you're going to work for will write a letter stating your business in Norway and for how long, perhaps even guarantee your deposit. Or if the company will rent the apartment for you. Those are some possibilities that might benefit you when looking for a flat.