Repeat visas for Malaysia.

I'm a UK pensioner thinking of living in Malaysia. I only receive £740pm so do not qualify for a retirement visa so am wondering how Malaysia feels about visa runs. I understand I get 3 months on arrival extendable for another 2 months. is it OK to then do a visa run to Thailand, cross the border then turn around and re-enter Malaysia and get another 3 months extendable for another 2 months. Is it possible to stay long term in Malaysia doing this repeatedly?
Thanks for your help, Ed.

Hi there,
You may also pop into Singapore. On social visit pass you need to do this every 3 months on long term basis.
And you are not here to work or marrying a Malaysian? If you are financially stable then no worries. Wish you all the best.

Not sure what you mean by that, I really don't want to be going to Singapore if I can avoid it. My plan was to arrive in Malaysia, get my 3 months then immediately get the 2 month extension, then when my 5 months are up, just cross the border into Thailand, maybe spend a couple of months in Krabi where I have friends, or just do an about turn and re enter Malaysia, get another 3 months, extend by another 2 and just keep repeating the process. What I need to know is Malaysia happy with this or do they have any max time one can spend in Malaysia in any one year.

Msia is happy for aslong as you fullfill the immigration requirements, doesn't  matter how
you do your visa exit / entry . What matters is you are in and out of the country as period of stay granted.
What I know is, on social visit pass, you are given 3 months. However on 2 mth extension, that will depend on many things.
Hope this helps  :)

i think that might cause you a problem in the long run. perhaps you will succeed for the first time however the next immigration will question you what are you doing in Malaysia

they wont ask unless you are married to a Msian,

H

Hi these days you cant get away with that and even at current exchange rate that is peanuts for KL. You are better off in Vietnam/Thailand.

Ok......first of all, from where are you hearing about a two-month extension? Ive never heard of it. Please explain.

As it was said, you CANNOT continue visa runs for long, all of asia is cutting this off. Years ago, yes, not now. Do not even consider that, do not make any plans around that as a means to stay. Your premise for being here was done by countless thousands of expats and its been completely cut off in Thailand, about 80% cut off in Malaysia. In Vietnam and Philippines, its about 40% cut off.

About money, 740 is......let me think.....yeah its OK at this time if no family is involved. I spend much less than 740 but I have a minimum lifestyle. However,inflation is rising noticeably fast, so 740 in five years wont be sufficient.

Vietnam, the prices are equal or higher than Malaysia and for the moment they still like foreigners, same with Philippines. You must understand no country around here want people who just lay about with no firm purpose for being here. You can marry or start a company, I cant think of other options.

As a UK fellow, you must know the Spain situation well and that UK expats are leaving. Consider Malaysia to be like that, a place that looks nice, IS nice in many respects, but doesnt work well for what you want.

You are describing a situation that was paradise 20-30 years ago, and thats how late you are. If I were brand new in your situation, Malaysia wouldnt be on the list at all. Forget Singapore completely.  My suggestion is that you visit both Vietnam and Philippines and see how you like them. You can also add Malaysia to such a tour, minding that what I said still stands. Please check out the Viet and Phils forums and listen to questions and answers there. Also check out www.numbeo.com to compare cost of living in various places, its very helpful.

Vietnam is a lot cheaper!  Beer is 30 rm a pint in kl in Vietnam 3 rm a pint!!!

Also you could do some English teaching in Vietnam.

And the girls are far nicer  :whistle: