Want to become a Teacher but have Engineering Degree

Hello all, great to see a convenient platform where we can discuss expat related issues. Awesome Idea!

I am a Pakistani female engineer and a mother of a 4 year old. Due to the young age of my son, I cannot work in engineering field due to long working hours. This is why I have selected the profession of teaching. I am working as a teacher since one year at a reputable school in Pakistan. Kindly guide me whether I can start a teaching career in any of the emirates in UAE.

Regards,
Sonia Khan
Pakistan

Hi
If you are still not been to UAE, the best way is to apply in several schools and visit for interview after many of them call you.
Dubai is expensive to live.

What about other emirates of UAE?

We are living in Oman and my wife is facing the same delimma; even though she has Bachelor's of Education degree (in science subjects) and also Mechanical Engineering degree from UET. The issue becomes that the schools will offer the job but the ministry doesn't accepts the engineering degree; saying that it is not a degree for the teachers but it is okay for an engineer.
She even got a very good job in one of the local schools to teach Mathematics; but again they didn't accept her credentials; saying that she has studied Math during earning her Engineering degree for only first two years. Even though she had studied Mechanics in the next years (another form of Math) but they don't accept any of this.

All the best. If you find a solution; do share with me also please.

Regards,
Mumtaz

Yeah... trying to find a solution... I don't know about Oman but UAE does not have that strict rules and regulations as compared to Oman... i have heard a few schools do offer jobs to engineers but not that good. Your wife has her B. Ed degree, still they are not accepting it?

Yes, still they are not accepting it. As I mentioned earlier that she was offered a math teacher's position with one of the local schools. The ministry rejected her documents saying that her previous degree (other than the B.Ed. degree) should also be for Math or should have studied math during the whole four years. Whereas, she is a Mechanical Engineer and on her transcript it does show Math as a subject for the first two years but then in the third and fourth year is is turned in "Mechanics" but that is not acceptable here as it is not pure Math :-) I guess.

Anyways, it is all crazy; as she is an engineer, has a B.Ed, has several years of teaching experience and the school interviewed her extensively and was chosen among a pool of several candidates; still she was rejected by the Ministry. This is just amazing. :-)

Indeed.... very awkward!

I am a computer engineer and have studied computer for four years can i become teacher in uae i also have b ed

Hello muntahairfran,

This is an old thread !

The participants will not be able to guide you. I suggest that you check the date before posting and post only on recent threads.

All the best,

Bhavna