Question regarding Retirement Visa for US Cit

Is it possible to do all those papers and submit them myself (I think I qualify)?. In my case there's also a complicating factor that I've overstayed my tourist visa a little bit already. I know there's a fine but that's OK. Otherwise I think I'll have to leave and then do it from another country or come back year on another tourist visa.

Regards,
Art

wanderingsalsero wrote:

Is it possible to do all those papers and submit them myself (I think I qualify)?. In my case there's also a complicating factor that I've overstayed my tourist visa a little bit already. I know there's a fine but that's OK. Otherwise I think I'll have to leave and then do it from another country or come back year on another tourist visa.

Regards,
Art

There doesn't seem to be any reason why you can't do it all yourself.  Have you looked at this page and seen the requirements?  It is written addressing the person who would get the visa, a TP7 in your case for a retiree, so...

http://www.cancilleria.gov.co/en/proced … isas/types

In addition using the icons/buttons on the left you can contact them on-line in a video call, or chat, or via email and ask your questions and (hopefully) get answers.

Thanks OA. I read through that. I think I'd seen the same or similar info before (or the same) but doesn't look quite as daunting the second time through. Now I need to find out if I can pay my fine w/o leaving the country to apply for my TP7 visa. I've got some 'back channel' inquiries going now.

The more I think about it, even if I do have to leave, its seems logical that I should be able to begin the filing/application process for the TP7 immediately and get back into the country before December or sooner.

Thanks,
Art

Hello, regarding your Colombia VISA. I have just finished the process; no way I could have done it myself. I to overstayed my tourist visa. I can absolutely recommend a professional, ethical, and honest law firm here in Bogota'. They did all the work and negotiations with Colombia immigration. If you do not speak Spanish, let me know, and I can help you find a professional translator.

The law firm is in La Candelaria part of Bogota'. My attorney's name is: Antonio Pena. He is a damn good lawyer. His prices are far. He charges Colombian prices. He speaks  little English; again I recommend a translator to assist you as may be necessary. His cell phone number is: 301-791-0780.

Please tell him I sent you.

You are welcome to call me.

Charles Hamner
USA Expat
Phone: xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share your personal number on the forum

Hello everyone,

@ Charles Hamner, it would be most appreciated if you recommend your contact in the Legal services in Colombia, it will benefit other members looking for a professional.

Thanks in advance,
Bhavna

Thank you Bhavna. Sorry if I committed an error with my post. I continue the learning process here.

Charles

Very nice of you to offer that info Charles. I might be giving that guy a call.

Art

wanderingsalsero wrote:

Regards,
Art

Hi Art,

I'm in the same situation. I really don't think it's that hard for a healthy person to do themselves. I'm not all that healthy, so it's been a bit of a pain but only because I get tired quickly, don't have a car, and got some bad info from some shady characters standing outside the Ministerio who work for lawyers who get paid to do this stuff, but who pretend to work for the Ministerio and direct people where to go.

That said, I went to Migración Colombia on Friday, had to write a statement  explaining why I  was late getting my tourist permit extended, had to pay a fine, then another $49,500 for something cslled a Salvo Conducto to keep me legal while my TP-7 is processed and since I have to go home for a few days next month. Yes, it can be frustrating, but probably in my case, mostly because I was given wrong information by these characters trying to snag new clients for their bosses. (They told me I was S.O.L. because they only gave people tourist permits till noon, and then tried to refer me to her boss for some othrr type of visa, at which point I loojed at her like she was crazy, told her I was late, & she finally let me pass to talk to the security guard. Turns out I was at the wrong building, they dont even do that there, so I wasted a trip to Bogota the last time, when I could have just gone to the other building, gotten it taken care of, and not overstayed my visa at all.)

As for the actual TP-7, the most difficult part is having to have your Benefit Verfication letter, that you print off at Ssa.gov, Apostilled in Washington D.C. (just emailed to my friend in the US along with labels from the USPS for Priority mail, one to send there & one for them to send back. (Along with a money order for $8 for the Apostille; if you pay to have this done it costs about $180!) Then you have it translated to Spanish (there's a list of official translators on the Cancillería's website, or some across from the offices I'm  told). The other documents as described in the TP-7 instructions are pretty self explanatory;  passport page, photos, etc.

Also, make sure you have at least 6 months on your passport, because when I asked if that was an issue (before I paid for the Estudio) they acted like it was no big deal. Then when I was fixing my status Friday, the lady told me it could be an issue.

Hope that helps!

Hi:

Thanks. Very illuminating. I've been feeling better about this issue lately.

I don't know if I mentioned it but I met an attorney lady here who says she's going to help me.
She wants English lessons and there might even be some 'dating' angle there too. But she
does seem like a nice person. I met her in a luggage/shoe repair shop where I know the owner
and his family. They're good people.

So, other than the possibility that I might have to wait for my lady friend (who, by the way, says
she works for the Mayor and is thoroughly familiar with this process and did it once for her sister's
boyfriend), I feel good now.

I'll let you know what happens.

Regards,
Art

BY the way....how much was your fine and how late were you? A (Although I understand that the rules on
that are not chiseled in stone).

Art

Oh cool! Well if you have a friend who will help, that is always a plus. I was 12 days late, and the fine was about $340,000 pesos. :(

Still, I guess that's on the low end, so I guess I lucked out. Hope it goes as well or better for you. :)

Jennifer

Yeah, you got off reasonably well from what I've heard. I'll probably be in a higher category by the time I 'go in'.

Thanks,
Art

Don't go to a lawyer ! Go home
If you live in Medellin I can give you a company that does visas for a very low cost and you do not have to to to Bogota
Happy day ✌️

Hi Frank:

Sure, I'm all ears. Please give me the info.

Art