What do you like the most in Vanuatu?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Vanuatu?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Vanuatu and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

First and foremost, the weather. No traffic lights, no parking meters, no Uncle Sam breathing down ones neck. Cheap fruit and vege's from the market. The gorgeous garden one can have. The different colours of the water. The warmth of the water. The beef and veal, one of, if not, the best beef in the world.

Hopefully, at some stage we will be invited to share our dislikes and disappointments.

Everything that mookalamas kid said and obviously we're here for the adventure and because own country is in the toilet and bound up with red tape and beaurocasy and  some how something is missing in our culture that we find in the nivan culture ,could be a sense of realism and family without the TV and tablet
Living here is a bit like Australia in the seventy,s ,,,no plastic ,not a throw away society  ,no welfare ,you don't work in the garden or job you don't eat ,in the villages in the country areas disrespect is not tolerated  ,if you wrong your brother you must make sorry,sometimes in a public way and if people can see the good in you they tend to watch over you like a big brother would
If you think you can come here  to teach people  a better way you better stop and ask yourself what you can learn ,,and what country was voted the happiest nation on earth more than once sure there's a downside but who has a 50 % divorce rate who has 1 in 5 on anti depressants  and were the lucky ones,if you want to get back to basics and get a handle on realism  come to Vanuatu  if not stay safe in your armchair  and turn on the discovery channel you,l be as right as rain

I keep hearing about how great the beef is.  What makes it so great?  I'm currently trying to grow more of my own fruits / vegetables and to eat organic food.  I've heard gardening is relatively easy on Vanuatu, but what about the stuff I can' grow myself.  Is the food at the markets and grocery stores "clean," or is it full of chemicals, pesticides, antibiotics, preservatives, etc. (like in America)?

I'm seriously thinking of moving to Vanuatu with my wife and son.  I've lived and worked in several countries as an expat, so I'm not too worried about finding a community and getting settled.  However, this move would be with an eye to permanent residency.  Obviously we will live on Vanuatu for a little while before we commit to anything or buy property.  Good chance I'll be visiting for a few weeks to do a little recon in Feb. or March of 2016.

My theory to the beef is it, comes from unstressed cattle. Unstressed cattle = great beef. We too tried growing our own fruit/veges, then realised there's not much point, it's so cheap at the market, it's not worth the hassle. Unless growing your food is a theraputic thing. That's a different story. I doubt they have chemicals, the Ni Vanuatu couldn't afford to buy chemicals.

Vanuatu is a wonderful place to live, but it's not nirvana, Our rose coloured glasses do need to come off after a few months. There is frustration and corruption. After saying that, my family cannot see us being anywhere else.

Come and join us, see what you think, as you have lived elsewhere o/seas, you will be able to cope that your favourite brand of beer hasn't been available for weeks. Like us, you will just grab another brand.

Sounds good.  But what kind of corruption are you talking about?  Are we talking bribing cops or corporations buying the government?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to heading over.  At the very least, it'll be a good way to get out of Michigan for a few weeks during winter.  I hate the cold so much.

Oh lord Michigan,
After living here for a few years, it's hard to cope with the cold.
Corrupt minister's is what I mean, and not the religious kind...................although!!!!!!!
Never bribed a cop, and never will, in Vanuatu, that is. Now, Bulgaria is a whole different story :-) :-) sometimes one doesn't have a choice. But we are talking Vanuatu.
Expats are not allowed to interfer in the running of the government, so whatever goes on, we are not involved in it. Just the way we like it.
We want sun, blue waters, a relaxed lifestyle, bliss actually.
I will advertise our holiday accommodation here sometime tomorrow, we maybe able to assist you with that, unless of course you are a resort/hotel type of man.
Keep warm, is it snowing yet????

Sounds great.  I'm definitely NOT a resort hotel man.  I'll definitely check out your ad.

Corrupt ministers?  What kind of crap do they do?  Please tell me it's not taking bribes to allow over-development and the destruction of the islands. 

As you probably know about the U.S., the American political and economic systems are so corrupt that they've actually legalized bribery!  So now, the American government exists basically to rubber-stamp corporate projects and pass the laws that corporate lobbyists write.  In Vietnam, corruption is more about bribing cops when you run a light and giving gifts to government people to get things done a little faster (unless you go high up in government, where it's about insider land deals and things like that).

This is a really easy question
The best thing is the local people,easy going,happy,trustworthy.
Consider an entire people who trust like a five year old would.
Sadly as with any other race the is the odd bad apple but the Majority are simply beautiful.
I love Vanuatu
the climate,ease of life but mostly it's the fantastic
people

Way to go Samsonlab. Totally agree. Hope you aren't bald yet :-) :-)

Couldn't agree more you guys ,great people,great place to follow your heart and live out a dream