What do you like the most in the Netherlands?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in the Netherlands?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in the Netherlands and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I like the direct approach the Netherlanders have.  I also like the open arm welcoming attitude they have to expats.  I live in Eindhoven and it is a wonderfully international town,  there are loads of good places for expats to go now too; e.g. The Hub Eindhoven.  They make you feel welcome and you can be sure that there will be at least 10 or 12 different nationalities at one time there.  I volunteer there and it is my lifeline where people from all over the world are welcome, including Dutch nationals.  They have a library in different languages.  They have language classes, they have jamming sessions for musicians, there are Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation and Pilates classes and much more.  You can join the TGIF on a Friday night where people come along to get to know different people and have a good laugh at the end of the week.  You can find volunteer jobs there, if you have a good idea for an event you will be listened to.  There are endless opportunities for expats in the Hub Eindhoven.  Check out the website.

Nothing

So sorry you cannot find anything to like in the Netherlands Ninderjeet.  I have lived in Eindhoven for over nine years and love it.

I know, I am not surprised, when you say you loved it (Nederland "Eindhoven") I hope that you love to come back to Holland and live the life that you like so much, specially in Eindhoven, where I lived for 5 years as well and so many other places in whole Netherland.

I do not understand, how come some one like the life he or she lives so much and leave for another country?. Actually for me is not a secret, I know why? But unfortunately many people can not stand the truth and they try to improve otherwise. there are homeless people who sleep and eat in a very dirty places for a long time, when you ask them if they like the places and the way they live? their answer will be, YES we love and like the places and the way we live, and this is the same situation now, when you say you like the life where you lived and I surely understand why you saying that, but don't worry, I respect you and I respect the way you feel and like and enjoy where you have lived before, and I hope one day soon you come back to where you like to live again, you are most welcome to Holland with open hearts and a flower tulip, which I think you believe that this Tulip flower is originally Dutch, unfortunately is NOT. Always SMILE

The Netherlands is world class when it comes to bikes!

I've lived here for more than 5 years, and people often ask me if I'm happy in the Netherlands, and I always say yes. Then I am often asked why, and it is difficult to decide at that moment. But I always say safety for the children. We live in a safer place, where our children can ride their bikes to school, mostly on bicycle  paths. I live in a small village where mostly the speed limit is 15. But even when we go further and ride on the side of the road, drivers are aware of the many cyclists who are also on their way somewhere.

Young and old, everyone is on a bike. It's lovely to see..

When I ;moved here I took drivers/ lessons and passed a theory and practical exam.in order to obtain a permanent drivers' certificate. Mostly I wanted to because I wasn't used to bikes everywhere, not to mention mobeds speeding on bike paths, where I had to cross.Learning how to drive on roundabouts with bikes also having the right of way was also very important.

When I was 16 years old, living in Canada, I abandoned my bike when I got my drivers liscense. It is a whole new world here. People ride bikes in high heels for a date. They wear suits and carry an umbrella in the rain. When I arrived here, it was like a whole new world. I thought it was funny. But this is how it is.

I have yet to buy a rainsuit for my bike riding, because I still decide to drive my car in the rain. But it is a great idea for anyone who wants to experience the true culture of the Netherlands to hop on a bike.

Jamie

If this the case Nindejeet why are you here? If you really don't like it then either move somewhere else or go home.

juliawest wrote:

The Netherlands is world class when it comes to bikes.

People ride bikes in high heels for a date. They wear suits and carry an umbrella in the rain.

:lol::lol::lol:

Its so true and yet funny at the same time!!!

In my case, I married into Holland over 30 years ago; then having lived and worked all over the world, moved to Enschede almost 20 years ago, then moved to the UK with my job, but we have an extended family in Holland (my daughter moved back as soon as she could), we seem to spend most of our spare time back in what we regard as home.

What I like most is the people; in general, they are open, friendly, straight talking and helpful when asked.

I am planning to move to The Netherlands and was wondering about crime in Eindhoven as I hear this area has a higher crime incident.  Can anyone speak to this concern?  What are some areas outside of Eindhoven that are nice villages to live in?

mkishun wrote:

I am planning to move to The Netherlands and was wondering about crime in Eindhoven as I hear this area has a higher crime incident.  Can anyone speak to this concern?  What are some areas outside of Eindhoven that are nice villages to live in?

I've never lived in Eindhoven, although I've visited a few times and never experienced anything untoward.  Most of the information on the net is quite old; maybe somebody on here who lives there can speak with some recent information.