What do you like the most in Brazil?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Brazil?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Brazil and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

What do I like most about Brazil? Well, there are lots of things so I'm going to list my top 5 and let it go at that:

No. 1 and the thing I undoubtedly most like about Brazil is the warmth, friendliness and solidarity of the Brazilian people. It's just so easy to approach them, make friends with them, even if you don't speak Portuguese very well you should have no trouble making friends here. If you do speak the language reasonably well, but can't make Brazilian friends by the truckload here, then better go back home because there's something wrong with you, and not with them.

No. 2 is the Brazilian cuisine. Thank God, I've never had to worry about my weight (well maybe about trying to put a bit on this skinny little frame), because I live to eat, and love to eat. I learned to cook at the knee of my Italian grandfather when I was only 5 years old and was into international cuisine by the time I was 8 or 9. The variety of regional dishes in this country is amazing. I'm not talking about the everyday beans and rice diet that is so common to all Brazilians, but I am talking about the traditional dishes that they serve during festivals, holiday parties and special events. I've been here for ages and have gotten used to the meat/chicken, beans and rice diet which many newcomers find boring. Actually, if even that is boring then the person who has cooked the meal simply doesn't know how to liven it up. I've had some exceptionally good typical everyday meals in my years here. Just like in any other country, not everybody is a great cook.

No. 3 is the natural beauty of this country. Everywhere you turn there are stunning views of ocean, mountains, rivers, valleys, waterfalls, etc., and the incredible variety of flora and fauna that Brazil is famous for. It's so nice to look out your window in the morning and watch a flock of Toucans swoop down and roost in a nearby tree, or to wake up to the haunting song of a Siriema. Even in the heart of many major cities you can find little pockets of wildlife.

No. 4 is a purely personal choice and I don't know if it would appeal to everybody, but for me it's the culture, history and architecture of this country. Coming from Canada, a country that's still a newborn baby, in historical terms a country like Brazil with well over 5 centuries of colonization and growth is just full of different things to amaze me. The culture, customs, traditions, folklore, myths and legends, etc. Then of course there is the architecture which is spectacular.

No. 5 no more winter. At my age I'm no longer keen on cold weather. The only place I want to ever see snow again is on an old TV between channels. I just love that most of this country never gets cold even in the Brazilian winter. Paulistas and Cariocas dress like bloody Eskimos when it drops to 12º C, but for the most part this country is either warm or hot all year round. That said, if you're into winter there's always the south of Brazil.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

the sun, the
fresh air
who cheep everything is
My dog "Leo"
my wife
where i live
my new Brazilian friends

I'd like to shamelessly borrow James' post, virtually word for word. Thanks for saving me the time, James!

nsellen wrote:

I'd like to shamelessly borrow James' post, virtually word for word. Thanks for saving me the time, James!

Like they say, great minds think alike.

In our case the rest of that saying can be disregarded completely.   :lol:

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

I love it where I am.  Compos dos Goytacasa, Sao Fransisco de Itabauana.  Traffic is great.  Zoning people are not climbing all over you.  The weather is wonderful.  Most people are caring.  Property prices are fair.  I can have cows, turkey's, chickens,and ,five dogs.  I mjss taco bell, carl jr. , Chinese food and store bought pies.  I love the warm water at the beach.  I'm really enjoying the dollar exchange rate as well.  I wish that you were here because no one speaks English here.

shits always happening here ... not one single day goes ein blanck

1. Praia
2. Mulhers
3. Comida
4. Oceano
5. Sol
6. Amigos e amigas, agora tenho muito.
7. Felizidade
8. O Brasil que melhorar cade vez mais ainda com corrupcao dos politicos.

Let's keep it in ENGLISH ONLY in this Anglophone forum please. OK, worldcitizen2020.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello Christene
The reason I lived in Brasil was that my wife was born there.
The things I enjoy the most was the local people & there approach to life, they appreciate the simple things. Another thing I really enjoyed was the tourist places the beaches up north, the beach buggy tours & out of the way places. Rio was good although reasonably expensive. As an foreigner you can live as a tourist very easily. I lived & worked there for 1 and a half years but it is much tougher living of locally earned money.
One of my things on my bucket list is to go to Blumenau for the Brasil version of Oktoberfest.
Kind regards
Darren Gainsford

I have been here in Rio for almost a year and agree with James with most of his observations (especially #1, the Brazilians are great and accepting).  The one exception is No. 2 the Brazilian cuisine, being from San Francisco and my grandparents from Italy, I find that the one thing Brazil is lacking.  Everything seems to be fried (and white) and the restaurant menus have been around for 50 years or more.  Brazil has a 12 month growing season, and needs to have more fresh vegetable options.  This is twenty-first century cuisine.  The problem stems from most middle-class & up Brazilians grew up with domestic help who did all the cooking and cleaning, thus limiting their culinary horizons. 

I am encouraged to see Eately opening in Sao Paulo and Ferro & Farina in Rio.  Maybe the "food revolution" will reach Brazil.

Hi caco-brasil,

When I speak about the Brazilian cuisine, I'm not talking about their everyday diet. That most certainly is extremely boring, beans and rice and more beans and rice. And maybe a couple of pieces of fried chicken thrown in.

What I'm talking about are the traditional dishes made during festivals, holidays, etc. Also the regional dishes like moqueca de peixe, leitoa a pururuca, feijoada a brasileiro. specialty dishes you'll find in restaurants.

Those are the dishes that will make your mouth water and leave their flavor on your tongue long after you've left Brazil. Check out the recipes below, you'll see what I mean:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=212709https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=230521https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 43#1851030

They'll get your tastebuds going for sure.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks James....  I love to cook, so I will look forward and try these recipes.

Have you tried the BBQS from down south, they are a sight to behold. The put half a cow through a huge stake & belt it into the ground, standing upright. They then make a ring of fire around the meat.This method takes all day to cook but it is a community affair. It is undoubtedly the best BBQ experience I have ever had.

Açai :D

alice.schan wrote:

Açai :D

Ahhhhhhhh, yes!!! With bananas, strawberries, granola and cream! Yum. :top:

Hi Christine!
I will be moving soon.Maybe in January.
While i was there for 6 months,i enjoyed the culture and food.But mainly the people.I am not a big fan of north America.I find it cold in temperature and human contact.
For me,living in Brasil is a good fit because i am a drummer and part time French-English teacher and don't need much to survive.Just a roof and little food and of course my beautyfull girlfriend.
I get plenty of giggs but they don't pay much.Rooms for rent are afordable and food high quality and cheap if you don't buy imported beers and wine.
In the summer from December to March,it gets unbarrably hot.Up to 35 degrees.Thats when i struggle.It's realy dry and never rains.I would avoid staying in big cities for this periode.
I hope i have been a good source of info for you.

Prazer!Beijos.

I can tell you have never lived in the southern US. 35 degrees is a cooler summer day for us.

Roadtripking wrote:

I can tell you have never lived in the southern US. 35 degrees is a cooler summer day for us.

Yes, if we only got up to no more than 35 degrees C in the summers, most people here would think there's another Ice Age coming LOL...

James I would like to add #6 
CELEBRATIONS / FESTIVALS !!
The 4 day work week, because every week has a Holiday!
Whether football, beach, samba or birthday party or church, Brasilians celebrate life more than any other people in the world.

Let me guess...  Salvador - BA, right?  :lol:

Salvador celebrates, yes!!
Actually, a hang glider from Sao Conrado.