Sending photos to family from abroad

Hi, I am currently abroad in Poland and usually send photos to my family via e-mail and Skype. I wanted to reach out to the Expat.com community to ask how everyone sends photos to their loved ones from abroad? Do you guys recommend any online service?

wetranfer.com or dropbox maybe ?

I use Flickr for anything general, but gmail for anything family.

Julien wrote:

wetranfer.com or dropbox maybe ?

Hi, I have used wetransfer.com but the worst part is that my grandmother has to download the images in order to view them. Too bad they don't have a impressive photo viewing experience. As far as dropbox goes, its great and I use it but not for photo sharing since their storage is expensive when storing a lot of photos. I am looking for something simple and quick, I even thought of printing the photos and sending them physically.. but its very expensive to send photos abroad :)

Fred wrote:

I use Flickr for anything general, but gmail for anything family.

I have never used Flickr, how do you find it? Does your grandmother complain about the complexity of viewing your photos? I am curious because I need something where my grandparents can easily view my photos.

As far as gmail goes, thats what I use as well. But my friends and family complain when I send tons of photos which means they get multiple emails with photos, which is hell for downloading.

I find Dropbox the most useful, as soon as I upload photos, they are appearing on my families' devices via shared folders.

Romaniac

My grandmother never complains about anything.
The fact she died about 15 years ago might very well explain her quiet manner.

Fred wrote:

My grandmother never complains about anything.
The fact she died about 15 years ago might very well explain her quiet manner.

I guess I phrased the question incorrectly. Sorry about that.

I don't have any of these accounts as I am very lazy, just send them through Whats'App.

hi everyone,

So I did some research this weekend and I figured I would share my thoughts.

Dropbox I like the fact that you can invite friends and family to a folder, drop your photos in to the folder, and the photos sync automatically. The minus is that it gets expensive and not a good solution if I just want to send photos. Dropbox knows everything about you.

Google photos I can create large photo albums, then share the album with my friends / family. They get a link to each album. Easy to use and free. Its more of a photo storage solution. Google knows everything about you.

WhatsApp This is more of a messaging app and only available on the phone. The other person needs the app installed as well. Not a good desktop solution. Low quality photos are being sent. It's free. WhatsApp knows everything about you.

Flickr A more complex version of Google photos with more features. It has a great photography community and you can make your photo albums public. Easy to use and free. Flickr knows everything about you. Easy sharing. Good experience.

WeTransfer Good for transferring photos. The free version has a 2GB upload limit. The only negative part is that you have to download the photos to view them. Password protection is a nice feature. Easy user experience. Good experience.

Brownbag.it Good for transferring and viewing photos. Only negative is that it has a 25 photo per album limit. Easy to use and free. Uses end-to-end encryption so they don't know anything about your photos. Great viewing experience. Optionally you can download the photos. Easy sharing. Albums get removed after some time.

Smugmug Stunning photo albums. Great user experience. Powerful privacy settings. Easy sharing. You can customise the look and feel of your albums. Free for 14-days. Unlimited photo storage.

A friend of mine also suggested sending photos in bulk or as postcards so I found these services. The only downside is you can only send photos from abroad to Poland and their websites are in Polish. Still a nice and useful service. I am sure there are more but I found these most interesting.

Foczta Send your photos as a physical postcard. They print the postcard in Poland. There mobile app is very cool, I was impressed. I did not get a chance to test out the quality of the postcard but would like to. Good experience. Easy to use. Tons of hidden features.

Fotkido.pl Send photos in bulk from the UK to Poland. 2 Pounds to send 5 photos. They print the photos in Poland and package them in to an envelope. Easy to use. Good easy interface. No special bells and whistles.

What do you guys think? Anything else that I could look at?
I did not add Facebook, Email, or Skype since those are very inconvenient ways of sending photos in my opinion.

Thanks

Normal em@il service, that will do. = Gmail / Outlook / Yahoo! ...

What ever online service you use, you cant trust them completely as they can know everything about you.
Even the old fashion way to print pictures and send by mail can cost your photos if the mail service is not reliable.

It depends how many pictures you are willing to share.

Primadonna wrote:

What ever online service you use, you cant trust them completely as they can know everything about you.
Even the old fashion way to print pictures and send by mail can cost your photos if the mail service is not reliable.

It depends how many pictures you are willing to share.

I agree, that is a good point. Too bad there is no way to secure my photos during transfer when printing them the old fashion way. I know web services exists which do this but its difficult to trust them as well.

Funny that nobody has mentioned Instagram. While I don't use it because I rarely take photos everybody I know uses it.

The only reason I take photos at all is that's the only way I can cut people's heads off and get away with it.   :o

Cheers,
James  Expat-blog Experts Team

pppglowacki wrote:

Too bad there is no way to secure my photos during transfer when printing them the old fashion way. I know web services exists which do this but its difficult to trust them as well.

What about to register your postage?