Can i get a job in hotel industry if I dont talk German?

Hello everyone,

We are moving to Austria soon and as everyone I am having load of questions in mind.

I am Mauritian but staying with my wife from Germany and my little daughter in UAE. My wife is working in hotel industry and I was also working in hotel. Meanwhile I am on a break looking after my daughter since we move here two years back. I was planning to search for a job here but finally my wife got another offer in Austria. Problem is I don't talk German and I need to find a job now. May anyone tell me, without talking German, will I get a job in hotel industry, well I was a restaurant manager position earlier.

Thank you

German is very much needed in that area of the hospitality industry. I would start learning it. Maybe go to school or do German course.

Thank you very much for the reply. I am only concern learning German might take one more year at home. Also how much will the German cost there?

Rahul, I recently did a german course here for A1 and A2, ideally It should be around the B1 level for a hospitality job. Each course cost me about 1000 euro +- and then a bit more for the transit between home and the uni I did it at. You can however choose to learn from home, but that is incredibly difficult with the german language as you need someone skilled to teach you the rules etc. of Deutsch. Go the extra mile, and do the courses because you need the certification anyway to obtain your citizenship card.

Also: It is unwise to live in a country where you do not understand the language, it will undoubtedly lead to issues in the future.

Peter-Michael wrote:

Rahul, I recently did a german course here for A1 and A2, ideally It should be around the B1 level for a hospitality job. Each course cost me about 1000 euro +- and then a bit more for the transit between home and the uni I did it at. You can however choose to learn from home, but that is incredibly difficult with the german language as you need someone skilled to teach you the rules etc. of Deutsch. Go the extra mile, and do the courses because you need the certification anyway to obtain your citizenship card.

Also: It is unwise to live in a country where you do not understand the language, it will undoubtedly lead to issues in the future.

I've read a few posts by Peter-MIchael recently and I think he's great.  Articulate, concise and speaks a lot of sense.  Please listen to him because there's nothing to add (unless its about the rugby at the moment  ;)  )

What I will say is that I was hospitaility manager in UK for 14 years and wouldn't consider employing someone without basic english.  Most of the time I employed on personality and attitude (even above experience!) but everyone must be able to communicate with the customers - even the cleaners and chambermaids!

If you want to visit,work or even live in a foreign country its at least respectful, if not essential, to learn their language.