Bugs in my kitchen food storage

I have an observation and a question. I lived here in CR for 3 years, 2007-2010, and have moved back. I do not remember having bugs in my rice before. Today, I discovered that the rice I bought several months ago, which has been in a ziplock bag, and inside a seal/lock type container has the little black 'yucky' bugs throughout it. Before anyone says 'protein', I get it, I will not die from them, if cooked and eaten, but, the thought appauls me! And after finding them and throwing the rice out, I went to use the cooked, leftover rice which was in my refrigerator. And yes, you guessed it, I had cooked and eaten bugs already. Any suggestions on how to avoid getting any, or do we just give up because we bring them home with us from the store anyway?

That sucks!  My wife is of Asian decent and eats a ton of rice.  Have never had that happen.

We have had this happen 'many times' although have only noticed them in dried pasta. :o
Check the package, carefully,  when you purchase it and store it in the fridge if possible. If not, place the unopened package in a sealed container. Once the package is opened, put it in a ziplock bag, else the insects will multiply and spread to other packages.
It is also advisable to do this, with flour. Friends from Florida advised us that this is what is commonly done there.

And yet my wife buys the BIG bag of rice and stores it in the original bag with the top just rolled.  Have never had a problem.  We do use a fellow from Ojochal who comes and organically sprays the inside of the house twice a year for insects (in the cupboard, pantry, drawers, etc.).  He also sprays non-organically outside the house and we seldom see an insect in the house.

There need be just one insect that probably originates in the store... As mentioned, I have never seen any in rice.
I once saw some in a package of pasta in a store and brought it to the attention of the staff.

Remember reading of those sailing ships...when they always found  grain weevils in the flour

I have never seen any that have 'escaped' into the kitchen...

We have geckos in the house and don't have ants.

Geckos .... ants .... You have to deal with your own issues!

No...no ants, spiders or cockroaches... only the geckos, but this is life in the tropics than many have to realize that they have to deal with.

There every where in Costa RIca when i lived there they were in the kitchen floors every where so get use to it.   I would put my rice in the freezer..   but still you have bugs and more bugs..and seasons of different bugs aunts , Beatles and spiders.    what fun