Single Retiring to Belize- area of expat community and facilities?

Hello all, I'm a single black female from Katy, Texas wanting to retire to Belize.

I've been reading the blogs and other sites and I haven't read any blogs referring to single women moving to Belize. I've been researching Corozal, San Ignacio and Placencia.

I would like to be near or within an expat community and I want to rent before committing to purchasing a home.

I will not be bringing my vehicle and would like to be close to restaurants and grocery stores and a Catholic church.

I would appreciate any and all comments.

Hello,
My name is Ruth "a single Black Female" I am planning to move to Belize. Let's get together. Stay in touck. Have you made the move yet?

Hi Ruth, no I haven't moved yet. I am planning to retire no later than April 1, 2016. I will fly there to see what area that I want to spend time and go from there. Where are you located?

Located in San Diego CA. I just retired in June 2015. I visited Belize  for two weeks after retiring. I spent one week on the Island, nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there, to crowded. I spent one week in Corozal more of my style. We rented a car and drove from Corozal to San Ignacio in the rainforest, this place come in very close. I plan to rent for a year, before I purchase. I flew out of Mexico (TJ) into Chatemul Mexico and it was great and a lot cheaper. $384,00 round trip. I am located 7 miles from the Mexican Border, so getting there was a no brainder. We took a taxie from the Belize border for $20.00, We spent the night in Chatemul and left morning to the Cayes, by boat.

Hi Ruth,

I am building a nice two bedroom home in Ladyville in Vista Del Mar Phase II area. It should be ready in two months. it will be a fully furnished home with about 1300 Sq ft of space. It is on the 100+ feet canal that comes from Oar House Restaurant & Bar. Caribbean sea could be seen from the pier at a distance of about 300 ft. There are ferry rides from Oar house to San Pedro. You can catch the ferry rides from our pier. Vista Del mar is about a kilometer from the Northern Freeway. You may need a car but most grocerie stores and restaurants are pretty close. If you are interested, please let me know. The rent would be about $1500 USD per month, but the daily view of the canal and the sea beyond are simply breathtaking. Thomas

Hi Ruth, when will you be moving to Belize? Are you going to stay in Corozal or San Ignacio? If you don't mind, I'd like to keep in touch so that I will have someone to contact when I come there to check out the areas?

I have not made a finally decision yet. I want to explore for about 6 -12 months first

that is my mortgage payment in san diego. that's out of my league. maybe katy in texas maybe interested

Actually that's more than my mortgage in Katy also, too much for me also.

Hi I'm from Houston and live in Corozal that way over priced I rent a 3 bd. 2 bath for 600.00 all bills paid and it isn't a bad place

If you are looking for expat community, including many single women, check out Maya Beach on the Placencia peninsula.  Restaurants, groceries, social activities and a very strong community.   Have dinner three nights at the Bistro to meet people and in a week you will be a local, going bird watching with the girls and joining community organizations.   Wonderful community.  Great location.   Rentals available in various price ranges.  Better yet,  get to know people and then house  sit for six months....

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum.

How long have you lived in Corozal? Do you live in town? I would like to check Corozal out and see if that's for me. I see that Mexico is close and has Sam's club and other stores which might be nice. The price for your place is great, I wouldn't mind paying for something like that.

Thank you Paradisebelize, I'm trying to get to Belize in April 2016 after I retire. Are you currently in Belize? How long have you lived there?

I have only been here since june when I packed sold everything and moved here I love it there are many nice places here to rent and I'm 7 miles from Mexico and there is all those places although you can find pretty much everything you need here I live on Consejo Road on the outskirt of town 2 to 3 minutes away.

Irma Quiroz-Yuque Need well qualified House Sitters. If anyone is interested please contact me ASAP, thanks. This is in Corozal Belize.you may want to check out Irma on face book I know she post on Corozal Living all the time

Was your place furnished? Are both English and Spanish spoken there? Do you need a car there?

I have a car some just have a bike my place was not furnished the first day here I had furniture but my place is all bills paid I find a lot of times you get one or the other almost all English haven't had any problems and I don't speak spanish

Did you do the residence or the monthly stamp? Do you still have family in Houston? I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm happy to find someone from Houston that moved to Belize. Had you visited Belize before deciding where to move?

Dee01 was it difficult to find a rental in Corozal?

Was difficult when done from a remote location.  Was easier after I arrived and people could meet and know me.

Hello

I have a nice place to rent (depending on your times) on the ex-Pat community of 'Mayan Seaside'
There are numerous places to eat in the area, everyone is very friendly and you would be most
welcome in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/fourmayan.seasidehttp://mayanseaside.webs.com/http://consejo.bz/

I was a single woman when I bought my home in San Ignacio. I like how close it is to many restaurants. Especially two resorts where it is easy to meet people. I've noticed many ex-pats join the local Rotary club. That immediately plugs them into a group of new friends, and the projects can keep you as busy as you want.

Similarly, it seems close to churches too. We have no mosquitos biting during the night or day, unlike the coast. Only dusk is an issue.

I stamp monthly after a year I plan on applying for residency yes I do still have friends and family in Houston

You will love Corozal. A lot of expats there and close to all of the US based stores in Mexico. I was raised in the Houston area and live in the San Ignacio area. I love the Belizean bush since I come from a ranching background but its not for everyone. Many people are use to and love the conveniences of Corozal. Just my opinion. I've been there for 6 years.

Dee01 where did you initially stay before you found your place? I want to stay for about 2 weeks or longer.

Hi Dee, how are things going in Corozal? Have you had any security issues or concerns? I'm looking forward in coming to Corozal after I retire in April.

When I was in Corozal. It was quite, laid back. I stayed in a hotel. Viewed the property I am purchasing. Drove down to Belize city and through Ladyville. Social activity perked up in Belize. Ladyville has a Gated Area. I want to see more, guess I will on my next trip. Hope to start building, I need to research a couple of builders. Corozal is situated where you can go to all the places with action,  then return to Serenity. If that's what you like. Pleasant retiring.

hey gal
belize is a deverse country- limiting yourself to an expat com is not wise- here we must think out side the box

Hello. I am a single, retired black women, renting in Placencia. I love it. Friendly people and everything you need is in walking distance. Housing seems too pricey for me. You need to have a long term vacation here to find out if it is right for you.  I am from Stone Mountain GA.

I'm a single white guy. Lol I'm renting a 2880sq ft home for $800BZ would you consider that to be high? Progresso.  Toilet seat, and hot water. Everything is not in walking distance,  but by bicycle. Jungle. Race is not an issue, but many dark skin people retiring to Placencia.  Why?

How long have you been in Placencia? Are you renting a house or condo?

So basically you saying to be adventurous. How long have you been in Belize and where do you what town or village do you live in?

Corozal seem to be a nice quiet place and that's the reason I figured that would be for me. I will have to check out Placencia also. I have a friend from Ladyville and she and her husband will be retiring to Ladyville where her family resides in a few years. I don't have to party but I would like to be able to attend the various festivals.

Hello. I hear Katy is a nice place to live. Bought a place in Corsicana. People seem very cordial in Belize. But just as anywhere Earth, you got the bad in with the good. Just got to sort them out. Corozal is quite. An hour drive, North or South and you got City Lights, if you know what I mean. I will need to spend time to get the real gist of what is or isn't happening in Belize. Just know that you will stand out. Just remember, people are going to be who they are......Expat or Native. Enjoy. :-) :)

Ladyville is sort of like the Katy to Houston distance, to Belize City. Just a little FYI.

Sounds to me like you would like to be in downtown Corozal.  How soon do you plan on coming to Belize to stay?  I can check around town for you, but I don't want to do it too far in advance of your coming here or we both would be spinning our wheels.
I'm a single female, but I live 7 miles out for the peace and quiet.  There is a lady, Judy, in Corozal town who keeps her ear to the ground for places to rent and places for sale.  If I see her soon, I'll ask her what's available.  I have a Magic Jack number, if you would like to talk person to person.... ***************  Keep trying.  I'm in and out a lot.

Marcia

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi Marcia, I won't be in Belize until later part of April or May. I have made friends with another lady on here, her name is Ruth and she also is planning to retire in Belize. I don't know whether I want to live in a condo or a house. I will try to contact you either today or tomorrow.

Sure thing.  There is a doctor's house for rent here.  He wants $650 BZD (I understand it is a huge place, just outside of Corozal town but very private).  That would be $325 USD.  I go to see the place tomorrow.  I think there are other places around to see, though...that is, if you even like Corozal.

Is the house going to be rented with furniture? I just hope that I can find something when I do visit.