Buses

hi, i will be coming to Quito from Cotacachi and if anyone can tell me which bus(es) i need to take from the Carcelon terminal to Rodrigo de Chávez and Pedro de Alfaro?  or how much a taxi SHOULD cost. 
muchas gracias!

That's a tough one. You're going from far N Quito to Central South. I'm guessing $10 to $15 for a taxi depending on traffic. If I were going to attempt to make this trip on the cheap, I'd ask around for a bus heading to the Centro Historico and then take a taxi for $2 or $3. I don't believe there is any direct bus. If I remember right you go first to the la Ofilia station, then possibly an additional transfer at Rio Coco and 6th of December.

jessekimmerling wrote:

That's a tough one. You're going from far N Quito to Central South. I'm guessing $10 to $15 for a taxi depending on traffic. If I were going to attempt to make this trip on the cheap, I'd ask around for a bus heading to the Centro Historico and then take a taxi for $2 or $3. I don't believe there is any direct bus. If I remember right you go first to the la Ofilia station, then possibly an additional transfer at Rio Coco and 6th of December.

Jesse is right about the taxi fare.  Since that's apparently an option for you, I'd go taxi in a heartbeat, especially if you're bringing any suitcase(s).

I've never heard of those two streets and they don't even appear in my excellent Quito "Distrito" mapbook.

Attempting multiple bus and taxi transfers in unfamiliar sectors is not indicated for your scenario.

cccmedia in Centro Histórico, Quito

thank you, the last time they charged me $30 for a taxi one way.....

If the taxis at the bus station are being scoundrels, as they often are, I recommend walking a few blocks away from the bus station to catch your taxi if you arrive during the day. I wouldn't do this at night, especially if you've got luggage.

i didn't get either of these taxis at the terminal.  so there are more scoundrels than just there!!  haha

Although your destination is an obscure intersection ... you were almost certainly ripped off on that previous $30 fare.

I was charged $25 and $26 dollars respectfully recently, for my trip originating in Centro Histórico, to and from Pakakuna Gardens in Checa, Ecuador -- a much-longer one-way trip than from Carcelén terminal to central South Quito.

I have also taken some taxi trips since the taxi pact from some clubes nocturnos near Carcelén terminal.  With one exception, the negotiated fare I paid was $10-12 to El Centro.  And those trips were at night, which is usually the expensive time to travel by taxi.

The exception was a rogue taxista who agreed to a $10 fare in advance ... but gave me this choice en camino:  pay a $20 fare immediately ... or exit the taxi and take my chances finding other transportation while walking along the highway.  I paid the "scoundrel" what he demanded and got home safely.

Since the new taxi pact in April of this year (2015), the day-time drivers have been much better about turning on their taximetros.  You can insist on the use of this aparato on your upcoming trip. 

There should be plenty of taxis at or near the terminal to choose from, whose drivers are willing to turn on the meter.  If the April re-calibration was done correctly, the fare should be $15 or less.  Alternatively, you can offer $10-15 at the terminal, and refuse to get into any cab if the taxista demands more than 15.

cccmedia in Centro Histórico, Quito

thank you, i will try to be tough!  haha

Toughness is only one strategy.

Another is your preparation.

If you can get a map showing your destination .. or directions in Spanish .. or can tell the driver a nearby landmark such as a shopping center or a transportation terminal .. he is less likely to think the following fare-boosting thoughts...

1.  This lady is from out of town and has about a ten percent chance of helping me find this obscure destination.

2   When we get to the other side of Quito, we'll probably have to inquire at three or more places for onward directions.  It'll take me an hour-and-a-half at the least to get this lady where she wants to go and then get back to north Quito.

3.  I have never heard of these two streets.  The place is probably half-way between South Quito and Latacunga ! :o

cccmedia in Quito

Just to be clear about where Pedro de Alfaro and Av. Rodrigo de Chavez are in south Quito:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pedro … 996f90dd1a

The intersection of the two is about 1 kilometer south of Panecillo.

and I have the bus maps as well.   :)

There is another option available besides cars and buses……..there are vans, furgonetas, which carry up to 12 or so passengers, that travel on a scheduled basis between cities…….I have took one once……it was nice…..
The cost was not bad…….from the Ecuador border town near Tumbes, Peru to Guayaquil was something like $12 as I recall…….it was safe, quick……very pleasant.  The office was in a different location from the terminal terrestre, but not too far distant…….if you ask around, people are well aware and will guide you

it would cost $50 one way from Cotacachi.  thank you for the suggestion though

gypsy1951 wrote:

it would cost $50 one way from Cotacachi.  thank you for the suggestion though

you could taxi the whole way for less than that. Hell, I took a taxi from Ibarra to la Tola (a town in the mangrove swamps south of San Lorenzo) for $80. It was an emergency and I didn't have time for an all day bus ride.