How to get Married fast in Mauritius

Hi all,

I need your urgent advice please: I am a french citizen, and have lived in South Africa for the past 5 years. I came to Mauritius at the end of Mai on a tourist visa to follow my South African partner, who has been transfered here for his job (on an occupational permit) .

We are not married, and after insisting at first that it would NOT be a problem for me to get my dependant visa, we are told diferently today. We are told that the only way for me to be allowed to stay in Mauritius on a dependant visa is by being married to my SA partner.

I have already spent a little over 3 months in the country, on 2 different tourist visas ( i went to Reunion Island for a week in the beginning of August). My tourist visa number 2 will expire at the beginning of November.

To make things even more tricky, I am now 5 months pregnant, with Baby due to arrive at the end of December. It is therefore very difficult for me to travel and stay out of the country if necessary. I have no place to go since I have lost my residence in South Africa, and have not lived in France for the last 15 years.

So is it possible to get married in Mauritius in my case, on a tourist visa? I saw on the website of the french consulate that that french Citizen were required to a special process : publications des bans, certificate of capacity of marriage etc. All these docs are very long to gather- at least 2 and a half months- and required themself other documents that do take time to produce; such as birth certificate etc...

What do you think- recommand I should do? please let me know any experience etc. I am of course in touch with the civil status office and french consulate but they do give very blurry info, Therefor i  would like  to hear people's  direct experience.

Many thanks in advance. :)

Hi
You could get married in either France or. SA then come into Mauritius on your husband's occupation permit as his dependent

Good luck

Hello, I thought I'd read on the forum that other partners (not married) were able to stay on their partner's work visa but I can't recall the specifics. It might be worth getting another opinion from an official as it's not uncommon to getting conflicting advice. If you do have to get married wouldn't doing so in Renuion be the easier option? Good luck and hopefully someone can answer with more detail.

This will explain things to you:
http://csd.pmo.govmu.org/English/regist … riage.aspx
OR
2 foreigners where only 1 of them has a work/residence permit

1. Documents to submit
a) Passport copies of both parties (1st 3 pages and pages where Mauritian  Immigration Office has stamped;
b) Birth certificates (duly translated in English/French);
c) Any other documents relating to divorce, widow/widower or change of    name;
d) Valid residence or work permits; and
e) Letter to state intention to marry in Mauritius + contact numbers.

2. You should note that if you are French citizens, you need to contact the French embassy in Mauritius concerning other formalities on telephone number:(230) 202 0100.

3. After 1 week you will be contacted by this office to collect a letter at the Central Civil Status Office authorising you to proceed with the publication of marriage banns.

4. The intending spouses should call in person at the civil status office with authorization letter and all original documents whose date of issue shall not be more than 3 months for the publication of marriage banns.

5. The marriage is celebrated in the office or in any private premises by the civil status officer of the locality where the parties will reside after a publication of 10 days.

6. As regards fees for wedding held in the office, no payment is required. If it is celebrated in the hotel or any private premises a payment of Rs 5,000 should be made.

7. It is understood that a means of conveyance if so requested by the officer of the Civil Status Division performing such marriage should be provided to and from the private premises.

8. Should you require further information, please do not hesitate to phone this office on (230) 201 1727 or (230) 201 2279.

Hi, yes I had indeed been on the civil office website and spoke to them, same for the french embassy in Port Louis. I will meet them on Thrusday. The problem for us  is that getting the french paperwork required for all french citizen to get married at the mauritian office takes so long, that my visa will run out and I might not be allowed to come back before next year.

A lawyer we contacted is looking into what can be done perhaps without beeing married. At the end, there could be a document called a Commom Law Partner Certificate, we are looking into getting that paper issued. In parallele,  we are  preparing all documents to get married asap in case that doesnt work. I will let you know for future reference. :)

Wandlewed, the process will aslo be very long in Reunion Island, as they  aslo require all the french paperworks.

For info, here  is the list they gave us lately regarding the docs needed:
Application to enter Mauritius

2.       Signed Undertaking

3.       Processing fee of MUR5,000 per dependent

4.       Passport + 2 copies of personal data and last entry visa page of passport

5.       Original Full Birth Certificate

6.       Original Marriage Certificate or Commom Law Partner Certificate

7.       Four recent colour identical passport sized photos

8.       Medical Report

Diane LS wrote:

Hi, yes I had indeed been on the civil office website and spoke to them, same for the french embassy in Port Louis. I will meet them on Thrusday. The problem for us  is that getting the french paperwork required for all french citizen to get married at the mauritian office takes so long, that my visa will run out and I might not be allowed to come back before next year.

A lawyer we contacted is looking into what can be done perhaps without beeing married. At the end, there could be a document called a Commom Law Partner Certificate, we are looking into getting that paper issued. In parallele,  we are  preparing all documents to get married asap in case that doesnt work. I will let you know for future reference. :)

Wandlewed, the process will aslo be very long in Reunion Island, as they  aslo require all the french paperworks.

For info, here  is the list they gave us lately regarding the docs needed:
Application to enter Mauritius

2.       Signed Undertaking

3.       Processing fee of MUR5,000 per dependent

4.       Passport + 2 copies of personal data and last entry visa page of passport

5.       Original Full Birth Certificate

6.       Original Marriage Certificate or Commom Law Partner Certificate

7.       Four recent colour identical passport sized photos

8.       Medical Report

The documents you have mentioned are the normal documents needed for a dependent - very easy to do and does not usually take long to receive when you have actually married.

Have you contacted one of the many hotels here or travel agencies who arrange many marriages some at short notice? Just a thought ;)

I know someone has said just get married and come into the Country as your husbands dependent, but that will only work if you have not used your 6 month tourist visa already which you will have done by November.

Good luck I am sure it will all work out :)