Retiring in Montenegro

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask all the usual questions (promise I am reading through previous threads) but I really need to speak to expat Brit retirees living in Montenegro. Just people who have bought a home there to live. No one who is running a business etc. As simple as that. Security, stability of MN in Balkans, property market and security of purchase. Internet, language, food, culture (as in classical-including music). Bla bla bla. I'm looking for short simple facts. Am I going to whisk my loved one along with our life savings into 'Costa del dodgy' or, is it true that it is one of the most beautiful places on earth offering great value for money along with kindness, hospitality and security with integrity (providing you use the right lawyer!!!!!) Thanks Wayne

I just got back from Montenegro (made mistake of going in August when it was just TOO hot).  It was a lot cooler in Cetinje, Budva and Kotor though .. easily 6-7 C lower than in Podgorica.

For culture and music and internet and food .. you have a wide selection.  Podgorica has all the charm of downtown Brazzaville but it has some fantastic cafes and restaurants. Cetinje is just wonderful, it's like the south of France or Italy ... or Paris in the spring.  Ditto Kotor and Budva .. i've never been to Bar so that is on my list for the return trip.

It is BEAUTIFUL ... assuming you like mountains and/or views of mountains .. and you have a car capable of getting to the top of the monster death maniac hill above Budva (after which it's plain sailing to the capital). All my friends there tell me that I should, on no account, drive the north road to Serbia unless there is a life-threatening emergency and I have no choice.  Property is cheap, but building regulations and urban planning appears to be virtually non-existent so be aware of that.  It's hot in the summer months, so be prepared to adapt to a life of pleasurable pottering.  Friends tell me that May and September are the best ... June/July/August requires close proximity to air conditioning (Delta shopping centre is highly recommended as they have everything you can possibly need/want between sunrise and sunset all under one roof).  It's cold and wet in some months but ... if you have survived the English winters then I'm not sure you have much to worry about.

What Podgorica needs is more trees (like Cetinje) ... thousands more trees.  There is simply no shade whatsoever and it's like a furnace of concrete glass and steel. Opening your front door is like opening the microwave door. Oh yes, and everyone drives like a lunatic.  They're all in a massive hurry to go nowhere in particular for no specific reason ... and even on a blind corner overlooking a thousand feet drop to the valley below - they WILL overtake you at twice the speed limit. That aside .. I love it.

Ryan