Pregnant in Rio - Any English speaking Gynecologist?

Olà everybody!! :) my name is Noveen and i'm from Pakistan.

i just recently arrived in Rio copacabana when bang i found out i'm pregnant .need some tips and advice on what to do next?have no medical insurance  &  i know very little portugese.

Could anyone please tell me about an english speaking decently priced gyanecologist?

also where is a good prenatal clinic?what is the brazilian health care system like?

Hello Noveen,

Actually you can get free pre-natal care through Brazil's public healthcare system (SUS - Sistema Única da Saúde) by going to the neighborhood Health Clinic (UBS Unidade Básica da Saúde) often called "Posto de Saúde".

Regarding a private OB/GYN they won't come cheap by any means. In order to find one that speaks enough English for you to communicate with him/her effectively it's going to involve a bit of legwork and lots of phone calls to ask if the doctor speaks English. Maybe you'll get lucky and one of our members in Rio may pop in here with some information about an English speaking OB/GYN, who knows?

Regarding the Sistema Única da Saúde, it's not too bad for emergency treatments at the local UPA (Unidade de Pronto Atendimento) or hospital Emergency Ward (Hospital Pronto Socorro), which is completely free. If you're hospitalized as the result of an emergency in a public hospital then those costs are covered by SUS, private hospitals are required by law to give free emergency treatment, but if hospitalized there you're looking a a very big bill at the end.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello :)

@Noveen : Welcome on board :par:

While waiting for other members to share some gynecologist contacts, please check out our business directory where members recommends health professionals : Gynecologists in Rio de Janeiro

Please do recommend other professionals too if you happen to be satisfied with their services.

Regards
Kenjee

Thank you for your prompt and thorough reply james.really appreciate your help :)

Ok will look into it thanks for the link :)

Hi Noveen, I think this reply has probably came too late for you. But if you still need an English speaking gynecologist or obstetrician in Rio, Doctor Luisa Czeresnia is great! She speaks fluent English and has an office in Ipanema in Zona Sul, I can highly recommend her! She's really nice, used to having foreign patients and she has a website in English and Portuguese as well www.doctorluisa.com.br    Hopefully this can help someone ! :)

Hello there DBond,

Thank you for your feedback :)

If possible please could you also recommend this professional in the Gynecologists in Rio de Janeiro section of the directory ?

This will surely benefit members looking for a female english speaking gynecologist.

Thanks in advance
Bhavna

I've heard that this post has been useful for people so just wanted to updated, the website has been updated and moved to www.doctorluisa.com :)