The correct procedures to follow to organize your move to the Netherla

Can somebody please give me some tips to advise me on this topic?

What would you like to know?

Hi

The costs that I will have when moving from South Africa to the Netherlands: The plane ticket, the visums for one person, the costs to move some of my personal stuff, and what else?  It's that question about what else that I'm wondering about?

If you already have work (having an employer) can you then arrange with the employer to help you with some of your moving costs with the agreement to pay back monthly afterwards?

And another question, what will an employer arrange for you and what not?

And where do you start when planning to move and what will be your basic arrangements from there onwards?

Regards
Renier

Hi I have looked into the immigration procedures for you. According to the Netherlands immigration website (ind.nl) as a South African citizen you can stay in the Netherlands for up to 90 days without a visa, If you want to stay longer then you need a MVV. You will not be allowed to work unless you have one. If you are lucky and manage to secure a job before you come here the employer has to apply for the MVV. If you arrive on a short-term visa you may look for jobs, but a company cannot employ you without a BSN number. To get one of these all non-EU citizens need to have a work permit. Without one you will not be able to open a Dutch bank account. I also understand that, unless you are a student the University will obtain a MVV) most landlords will require proof that your income is 7 times the rent.

May I suggest you read the information on this website before committing yourself to anything:

http://www.vfsglobal.com/netherlands/southafrica/

Can I apply for jobs in the Netherlands and if an employer hire me, will the employer arrange for a work permit and an MVV for me? And what else can an employer arrange for me? And what is an average salary and what can I rent on such a salary? How much money do I have to bring with me to the Netherlands? Will it be more suitable to rent a room in someone's house for the first few months that I'm there and save the money before deciding on renting an apartment? Can you maybe give me answers on these questions.

Regards
Renier

Yes you can apply for jobs in the Netherlands and there are a number of websites, but beware most companies require you to live here, You will not be able to get a job without a work permit. However, you might be lucky and find one, especially if you have programming skills. I this case the employer will apply for your work permit. Its difficult to say what the average salary is because it is dependent on the industry you work in. Also the cost of accommodation varies from location to location. It is better to use an agency because  there are a lot of scammers here.  This is a website a lot of people use: http://www.pararius.com/apartments/amsterdam
It's not cheap to live and the minimum salary requirements for a visa is EUR1650 a month. I know you don't need to have a visa, but this figure will give you an idea of the minimum you should bring. The maximum you can bring into the Netherlands is EUR 10000.
Remember what I said about renting an apartment. I suggest if your intention is to stay for more than 90 days yo obtain a MVV before you leave South Africa. You will not be allowed to stay for more than 90 days without one. The immigration authorities are tough and will have no problem deporting you of you overstay. If they do you will have a major problem getting back in again. Again no work permit, no job.

Important question: The EUR1650, is that before or after Income Tax subtraction? In other words, EUR1650 Bruto or EUR1650 Netto?

Its not earnings its the amountnyou will have to have each month if you apply for a visa

I'm a bit confused now, do you apply for a VISA after 3 months or if you have an MVV you do not have to apply for a VISA? And if you have an MVV for how long is that valid? If you want to stay longer than 3 months with the aim of permanent residence after 5 years, what is a safe amount of money to bring with you when you come over?

If you want to stay more than three months you have to apply for a MVV before you leave South Africa.

Thanks, is the MVV the only Visa that you will need and for how long is the MVV applicable? How many months or years?

Its is the best to contact the IND (Immigration), they are the best source: www.ind.nl
They have also an English version.

You can get only an work permit (visa) if you future employer can proof that he is not able to find a  high skill Dutch and therefor he needs  you.
You, as a South African, can stay in the Netherlands max. 90 days without any problems. In this period you can organize everything you need. In this period you can not ask for a MVV because it will takes app. 6 months and it means you have to leave the Netherlands and come back when your application is granted. You can not stay waiting for your MVV if you are here as a tourist. If you wish to stay here longer, i.e. live here for a few years, then you have to apply for a MVV in South Africa. If you have a MVV you don't have to apply for a visa. Keep in mind that a MVV is something totally different then a work permit and totally different procedures.

Looking for an apartment can be hard and very expensive too, special when you look in the commercial sector for housing. Monthly rents from 1000 euro and above are apparently the norm now days. Its mean you need a good income to be able to rent.

Thank you for replying Primmadonna.

For how long is an MVV valid? For how many months or years? When I want to go over I must have all the exact information from Step 1 up to the last step in the whole process. And I have to know and work out the exact costs in figures to make sure I have enough money to move so I will keep on asking questions.

I'm not sure you understand what we are telling you. As Primadonna said you cannot apply for a MVV in the Netherlands. It has to be done in South Africa and the following website should answer all of your questions in how to apply for one.
http://www.vfsglobal.com/netherlands/southafrica/
There is a contact number in South Africa if you can't find an answer.
As both of us have already told you, you have to leave at the end of your 90 day visit when your visa expires. It can take up to 6 months to get a MVV and I believe, once granted, it lasts for 5 years.
This website will give you an idea of the costs in Amsterdam. It is regularly updated.
http://www.amsterdamtips.com/
The important thing is you have to apply for an MVV in your country. Do not think you can bypass the system and try and stay here in the hope you will be allowed to apply for it here. It will not happen.

I am sorry if this is not what you want to hear,but it is the reality of the situation. As I have said before if you try and stay you will be deported which means getting back in will be very difficult for you.

Renier985 wrote:

For how long is an MVV valid? For how many months or years? When I want to go over I must have all the exact information from Step 1 up to the last step in the whole process. And I have to know and work out the exact costs in figures to make sure I have enough money to move so I will keep on asking questions.

READ MY WORDS AGAIN: CONTACT THE IMMIGRATION, THEY ARE THE ONE WHO CAN ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS ABOUT VISAS.

www.ind.nl

Sorry that I wrote in capital letters, but  you must understand that we are not experts in visas and therefor not able to help  you.

I know I have to apply for the MVV in my own country, I don't have an issue with that. In fact, I want to make sure about ALL the necessary steps that I legally have to take to get an MVV and get a job and that I can stay there after the five years and become a permanent resident. I will go into those links, I need to know the facts. I can't work with what I assume or what is supposed to be. I still have no idea what the possible costs of the whole expedition will be. I don't have any first-hand knowledge about this and I cannot afford to make a mistake. If I go over it must be for life, not for 3 months.

Thank you Primadonna. I have even given him the links.

And I am not fighting with anyone, this is not a decision that I make in the heat of the moment so that's why I am serious about doing all the right stuff. I cannot afford to make a mistake when making such a decision.

Then go to the links we have sent you and call the visa centre in South Africa. As Primadonna said we are not the experts

Renier985 wrote:

And I am not fighting with anyone, this is not a decision that I make in the heat of the moment so that's why I am serious about doing all the right stuff. I cannot afford to make a mistake when making such a decision.

No worries, you want to be sure and I understand that but you asked the same question over and over, even when we give you some useful links. We are here to help everyone, but some issues we cant help others because we are no experts, we have our experiences and even those can be different to others who have the same issues.
If you have questions, or important information to share, you are always welcome to post it here.

Good luck with your search and take care.