Volunteering in Mexico

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Mexico?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Mexico?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

I always tell people to adopt a street if they want to stay busy

Here we have some animal rescue groups that have Spay & Neuter clinics, we have an Indigenous school that needs help, every few months we have a town cleanup event, nearby there is an old folks home, larger towns will have orphanages ..... and we have a local Rotary. Many have occasional events but few will keep you busy.

Students studying English often like to practice with a real English speaker

We have an active charity in Puerto Morelos (near Cancun) which assists the local primary and high schools, emergency services, medical clinics and families in distress. .  We look for volunteers to bring in medical and school supplies and to sponsor needy children with school fees, uniforms and books. We also looked for skilled people to do medical and rescue training of any kind. You can read more about us at emppm.com

I am an active Rotarian and I volunteer for S.O.M.E. (SO Others May Eat). My neighbor a couple doors down is the President of the Lions Club. If you want to be involved there is no end of good works you can find to occupy your time.

from sydney in ajijic,
volunteering has a lot of variety - a wonderful way to integrate into community without stress.
and you know, generosity is the happiest state of mind.
in every country, any city,  usually
i tithe ten percent of my monthlies into a baggy in the freezer - it accumulates,
last year i was able to purchase a gd quality dryer and washer for a family who had one light bulb and five children.
one severely handicapped, this precious mother washed clothes  in a bucket.
the gift was given with no strings attached... the entire family helped build a shed to house the equipment,
neighbors helped attach... everyone had a sense of Godly love and care being shared.

My wife and I help the deaf in and around Ensenada. We found a 12 year old deaf girl living on a farm with her family. But with no support for the deaf in the area she didn't have any language at all. She didn't even know her name. We taught her sign language and the Bible's hope for the future and, of course, her name, Reyna. Her mother tells us that before we visited Reyna would sit all alone crying because she couldn't talk to anyone, but after our visits she was happy. After 3 years her parents asked if Reyna could live with us in Ensenada so she could go to school for the deaf. We gladly accepted. Now Reyna has been with us for a year. She is fluent in sign language, learning to read and write Spanish and many other subjects. She is like a daughter to us and we are second parents to her. Now she has a much brighter future!
Then there is Marco, Armundo, Julia, ... many more.

This is a great topic.  I have lived in Mexico for almost 10 years now and see needs all around me but, unfortunately most are financial.  I can not help much in this area but do help support a few people and always give work to locals when i need it.  I would love to see what others are doing.

God Bless you all in the wonderful rewarding work you do......  I am still stuck in South Africa but who knows? having a child in Mexico I might join you one day.....   Heartwarming to say the least.   Blessed in all your sharing (cannot be called work)...
Arien

I plan to move to Mexico for chapter two of my working life (i.e. retirement) and I want to be of service. Yours is a wonderful story - God Bless you and your "adopted" daughter.

Me gusta.

casadelosamigos.org/

Look this page, my adopted child from Germany works in here, really amazing the experience for him, but you need some character before work with immigrants who live here, because really they need help and love...