Volunteering in Malaysia

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Malaysia?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Malaysia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

me too..I am having same questions...would like to involve in activities

you can teach kids or help with some marketing efforts at Dignity.com.my or Dignity.org.my..pls check either websites.Its a school for refugee kids......there are Rohingya kids, sad story .Anyway its a good school and they need volunteers.if you like sports..teach PE and games.if you like cooking..help them out in a their Cafe, if you like science, Maths, STory telling little kids theres always something for you.BUT please stay committed. this kind of volunteering isnt the sociable volunteering its 'real volunteering'....Theres the sociable ones  like 'British Wives Club' etc etc and they eat and are merry and do some charity projects but charity is not the focus.
There are poor M'sian families and the Indigenious people that need a lot of help BUT best to go through a NGO and this is 'serious business' and in best left to locals. There are many Dog shelters that need your help too.Pls dont go to the obvious SPCA as there are 'real dog shelters' that nee your help if this is your course....any questions ?

To name a few Mercy Malaysia, Rotary Club District 3300 (Malaysia). I myself am a member of Rotary Club and SPCA. To its entirely up to what u like to volunteer in. MAKNA is a cancer assoc. And Rotary is more general depending on the community needs.

Hi All,

My organization Xchanging Malaysia actively organizes charitable activities.
Please feel free to write in to us on below ID in case you wish to volunteer.
Please mention the kind of activities you would like to do:
e.g. donation (money/ blood), helping out the needy (wall painting, spending time, tutoring etc.)
We will contact you if needed.
email: ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting contact details on the forum. Register in the Clubs, associations, volunteers in Malaysia section please. Thanks.

..hi, im been here in malaysia for quite some time now, i would love to volunteer on some of NGO programs...im from the Philippines...thank you!

Hi, I've been involved in lots of charitable activities from organising fashion events and charity auctions to digging wells and working in "soup kitchens" but all organised through churches. One independent non-religious activity was "walking the blind".  If anyone organises this in KL I would like to volunteer as it's extremely worthwhile and very rewarding. It also makes you learn about places as one is effectively a cross between tour guide and guide dog haha! Email me at ***

Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I visit Malaysia quite a few times a year, and as I am now retired I usually stay for 3 month duration each time due to visa restrictions, while there I would love to do some kind of voluntary work. If any one has need of volunteers I would love to hear from you. I live in Puchong and am moving to Saujana Putra early 2016. Here is my email address if anyone would care to contact me ***

Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

will send you a mail.....the ones that get a lot of publicity and also mentioned here are quite dangerous as theres money ebezzlement and really, one should not be a part of that......

Hi,

I would like to
Volunteer as teacher as well. Id like to teach kids. Please contact me [email protected]

Hi Heres a reply ..hope it wont be deleted by the Admin....... Its FREE education in Malaysia for all Malaysian Kids. But we have a new situation with illegal immigrants and other kids who do not have the right documentation to go to school.Hence a very kind man , he's a Pastor opened a school for kids  like this 20 years ago. Its well oiled and could do with Inspiring teachers who can just reach out to kids. 
The children are aged 2-18 years old. The school is in many shops in Sentul. They have an education syllabus in place.  I teach there but Im on a break till Dec. I teach on a volunteer basis. Whats most important is the dedication of time. if someone can make it every week for 1 hour is good. The kids will love it. Its not easy for them , at this tender age they take on the stress of adults.

Ok, your next step is to fill up the form  a send it through. if you do not hear from anyone pls contact me. The school admin may not be the best as there's lots to do. SO i have a handphone number and can call a few people if no one has responded to you.
Pls look through this website and contact me if theres no reply after sending your form through...

http://www.dignityforchildren.org/

Thanks very much

Great.  I teach on line and when in Vietnam simply converse in English to groups of college kids about a particular project to help their conversational English.  Please email me directly  penridge at manx.net   my name is Jamie.

Check out Do Something Good, a volunteer website looking for people to assist

http://dosomething.gd/

THe best way about volunteering is to join groups that dont have much publicity etc. Fact: all funds are not audited in NGOs in Malaysia.So you dont want to be part of a 'racket'.I was duped before by many volunteering groups and NGO's....so now I do research prior to joining or mentioning any NGO or volunteer group.

Hello.

Interested in doing voluntary work in Malaysia(favourite place).Lived good length of time in Europe.Now living in Bangladesh.
If anyone have good info about it,plz pass.
You are invited in Indian sub-continent,a colourful place indeed,but personally had enough.

Hi,

I'm currently in Malaysia about to start Volunteering ( Teaching english and Life skills to underprivileged communities) with a NGO called SOLS 24/7. I highly recommend having a look at them. They make a big difference.

http://www.sols247.org/my/

Have a nice day everyone  :)