Volunteering in Kenya

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Kenya?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Kenya?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

There are many potential volunteering opportunities in Kenya.  For example, childrens homes are always willing for the help and you don't need to go far to find one.

However; as I have posted before, Kenyan law prohibits those without a work permit from doing voluntary work.  The process and expense of obtaining a work permit means it would not make sense, for an unpaid position.  In fact, I think that it is unlikely that a work permit would be agreed/issued for a voluntary position anyway.

Wow! One needs a work permit to do voluntary work?  Insane.

It clearly states on visas that any work is prohibited without a work permit.  It may seem insane until the level of unemployment amongst Kenyans is considered. An expat with time on their hands, willing to volunteer may potentially be taking an employment opportunity away from a Kenyan.

@ Longonot62,  yes, I now see where you are coming from.  It can create unemployment.  We learn new things everyday. I am Kenyan and I didn't even know that.  Thanks.

I came as vounteer in Dec 2009 - Jul 2010 - as a volunteer and sponsor a bunch of kids. Sitting at Java Coffee house right now with one of them doing maths - he is to return to school tomorrow.
Well, I didn't have a work permit, my friend organising it didn't get it. So you would only "volunteer" without a permit in a way that would be more like being a good person - such as visiting a childrens home and taking a bunch of clothes or buying some beds for them.  Don't give cash.
I was posted at achildren's home but the lady was fat and corrupt and thought as a white, I am stupid and think even obese africans are starving. She had three cars.  She ended up threatening to call police on me when I put a boy at her fake school into a real school.  He is the one I am with today making do maths.
I ended up changing to teaching computers to ECD volunteer teachers at a mud house child care centre.  So my laptop had 1.5 hours charge maybe 2 hours, so I would charge it, take it there, get 5-10 teachers and neighbours to all have a go at typing. SOmetimes I would get whoever had money for a soda or shout myself to continue at the hotel with power down the road.  It was after lunch when ECD finished, still friends with those people until today. 
But during the children's home day school stint, I met a few kids who were 10+ who had never attended school and I just put them in there but have ended up flying back each year.  So I would think about what problems you care about and supporting that.  I am direct action.  So if you visit a children's home, see what they are missing and make sure you get to know and agree with their values as a lot of conmen....

Ozchick,

I am only reflecting the law in Kenya and what the government says.  The message about work (including voluntary) is clearly highlighted on the e-citizen website.

Things are much more strict than they used to be, with regards to illegal working.  I realise that you are trying to help, but could get into a whole lot of trouble if you are found out.  People can and do blow the whistle to immigration, unfortunately.

I am hardly working, I just take people to school these days. With my own money.  And take them out and be like an aunt. Hardly an NGO just an individual well wisher. If immigration finds out good on them, I don't see how they care I go to people's houses, get kids clothed, ready for school, make them do homework, pay school fees...

'If immigration finds out good on them.'

This is the Kenyan Government that you are dealing with here and they sometimes like to make an example out of foreigners.  I would have thought that because you are not working for an NGO, or similar, then you are more vulnerable.

It is not my intention to rubbish what you are doing, as it is valuable work.  The government stance may well be that you are taking work away from a suitably qualified Kenyan (with the exception of payment of school fees, which is entirely your decision and right).  Considering what I know, I am just urging you to be careful.

I have pasted some information below, which is from the Kenyan Embassy (Brussels) website.

Which permit do you require if engaging in voluntary work without pay (e.g. for an NGO or school)?
Apply for a Class A permit directly to the Director of Immigration Services, Immigration Department, before going to Kenya, preferably though the organization that will employ you. A permit is required regardless of the duration of the voluntary work.

Hi,

I have worked as a volunteer with VSO, a UK Based Volunteer matching orgranization. You could try looking for opportunities by following the link below.If you need help, you can get in touch with me.

http://www.vsojitolee.org/volunteer/opportunitieshttp://www.vsojitolee.org/ 

Regards,

Joy

VSO can be a good way to go, as their volunteers, from overseas as work permits are obtained for their assignments.  The other advantage of VSO is that a volunteer doesn't have to pay a considerable sum of money for the privilege of spending a few weeks building a school, or such like.  Volunteers generally get accommodation and a basic (local equivalent) wage for their services.

In turn, the application process (in the UK at least) is very lengthy and thorough.  I imagine that VSO need to ensure, as far as possible that their chosen candidates will stay for the duration of their assignment.