Volunteering in Costa Rica

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Costa Rica?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Costa Rica?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

This is a great topic! One wonderful way to become part of the society in your new country is volunteering! I volunteer with Adopciones Grecia, in Grecia, and ABRAZA, in Zarcero. These are both animal rescue groups. That's my passion! I meet Costa Rican people with similar interests this way. I also get to feel like I'm helping this country to be a better place for animals and people. I believe most of the rescue groups are on Facebook so you can look for one near you there. Try looking doing a Google search too with your town name. It's probably better if your search term is written in Spanish, along with the name of the town. Don't worry if you're not fluent. The groups I  know about don't care if you speak much Spsnish, they just need help with the animals!

Unfortunately, apart from animal rescue groups which tend to lean towards caring for street dogs, nearly every volunteer is required to pay in order to participate...

I too have found that when searching for somewhere to volunteer I have found that they want me to pay to do that.  For example,  I've been spending two months in Potrero each winter and when I inquired about volunteering to help kids after school with homework or sports; teaching English; helping out mothers....they weren't interested unless I paid to do it.  Since I am living right there and wouldn't be any drain on the organization (finding me a place to stay, meals, airfare, etc.), I found that frustrating.

I'm sorry other people are having a bad experience volunteering! I think two groups that people might check with who want to get involved in volunteering down here are the Lions Club and the Boyscouts. They both are really active all over Costa Rica so probably have groups near where most people live. I don't believe they charge a fee to the people volunteering either. I lived in Grecia and a couple programs they have locally where people can volunteer are their recycling program and with events that the sports council puts on. You might check with the town near you and find out if they have anything similar. I have a page with places people can volunteer nationally on my website. This was a good topic because it made me realize that I need to go into more detail. For example, I'm now going to do an article about how people can get involved with the  Lions Club, what volunteers are needed, etc.

Hi Expat.com,

I know that here, at La Reserva Absoluta Cabo Blanco en Cabuya, Puntarenas, they always have volunteers helping.  So I can imagine that it would be the same all around Costa Rica.  Environment is a priority for sure! 

Gini

Hi there,  I live in the Osa Peninsula, in Osa Mountain.  I run a volunteer center here where we teach organic farming and permaculture.  When people are coming to stay here there is a charge for staying and eating, however if anyone wants to come up and help us with the farming, there is no charge and they can also take our daily classes in exchange for 4 hours of work.  English and Spanish spoken. 
Visit us at:
    omvvolunteercenterandretreat.com

I have a condo in Jaco.  Can you send me your website or suggestions as to find places to volunteer there.  Thanks in advance for your help.  I am a true animal lover but wouldn't be able to foster an animal because not allowed by condo association to have animals.

Bravo ! I have been rescuing dogs and now due to getting older  minimized down to my hopefully last bunch 6 dogs and 1 timid cat..BUT my friend is the founder of "Territorios de Zaguates." google it.
She is not a Hoarder who hoard but neglect dogs.
She has 900 Mutts ALL well taken car of. Spayed and neutered and well fed THEY can always use help at that huge farm where the dogs all run together .For dog lovers there are AWESOME videos to watch them run FREE and are adoptable BUT never  Murdered, healthy lovable dogs ,millions massacred as in so called "Shelters"..SO IF Costa Rica  can have a NO KILL SANCTUARY existing from Volunteers help and the owners HARD Work with the dogs, building shelters, beds etc.  for them, WHY CAN"T The USA do THAT ?
Watch  the link it will do you heart good to see this .. They have no facilities to house Volunteers (They are trying to raise the money to build,BUT I can help you find rentals I have only 3 rentals usually full but if Volunteering there  40%  DISCOUNT on rent  or FREE  if helping me out 2 or 3 mornings. 
I also have   also 6 rescued  dogs as of now,  and 1 cat ...pets and since a fall damaged my back and shoulder ligament  no more alas!
CHECK THIS OUT ! it is AWESOME for anyone especially dog lovers. copy/paste or PM me of it does not open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8RhLayAU4g

True they do not seem to welcome much Volunteering of their kids>.Maybe they think the American or Canadians will be a "bad influence"  who knows?
I had at one time a retired head Principal  a lovely lady  who rented for 1 and half years on my property.
.Her husband had no problem getting Volunteer work,  as he was a Computer Tech (much in demand )  but when she went to the local schools with her credentials and begged them to at least let her teach the kids English,  instead of them watching a  cartoon  movie (while the teacher chatted on her cell phone) They refused and she was so hurt..I think it was a matter  of jealousy OR maybe she could report the teachers for showing movies instead of TEACHING..who knows but such a pity for the kids in CR.
Idea!  help with  my 6 dogs and 1 cat.. etc.
You can live free on my farm in lovely place , in return for helping with my 6 adorable rescues (and 1 cat...I had a fall which rendered me with a torn shoulder ligament and  2 fractured vertebra so bending even to feed my dogs is now painful...so HELP  in return for free lovely room or maybe  cozy apartment  .email me at
extrapetsATgmail.com
A lovely place to live free.for 90 days ...

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Exactly what i wish to do   I have much experience with animals especially birds

O guess i will need to work with dogs then.