Practical driving classes & exams in English in Belgium

Hi,
I'm living in Mechelen in the province of Antwerp. While I do speak Dutch and I did pass my theory in Dutch somehow, I have been failing my practical driving lessons because I get too nervous during the exams.
If there i anyway I can attend classes in English and if there are practical exams conducted in English anywhere in Belgium, please kindly refer me to the website or provide me with some information that might help.

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get around this, so you will have to conquer your nerves because no one is going to offer you the test in English here in Belgium.  Dutch, French or German are your only choices here (depends on what region you are living in).  Dutch=Antwerpen.

Thank you.

There is a driving school in Brussels which tests in English and there are english books on driving in Belgium.I do not have the exact details with me right now but you can call or go in person to the Tervuren Commune and they will direct you to an English testing centre

Good luck

Tongesai wrote:

There is a driving school in Brussels which tests in English and there are english books on driving in Belgium.I do not have the exact details with me right now but you can call or go in person to the Tervuren Commune and they will direct you to an English testing centre

Good luck

Tongesai,

Is this an official regional testing center or is this a school that offers driving lessons?  The driving schools can offer lessons in English and tests in English if they choose too, however, the official regional testing centers don't test in English.  I am sure there are books in English in regards to driving in Belgium.   These books can be in any language, but when it comes to the official test you must know French, Dutch or German. 

Secondly, you must do the testing in an official testing center in your region where you live.  Brussels is no Antwerpen.

Yes its official and you need to pay extra than the normal fee because a translator would be made available for you.
In Brussels its possible to do it in English with the assistance of an instructor

Tongesai wrote:

Yes its official and you need to pay extra than the normal fee because a translator would be made available for you.
In Brussels its possible to do it in English with the assistance of an instructor

Theory Exam:
-> In exam centers, you can pay extra fees to do a theory exam in English. Well, the questions that appear on the screen are in French/Dutch, but the questions and options are announced in English before the timer for answering the questions start. This way you understand the question and options in English and then select the right option on the screen.

During practical exam, the examiner always communicates in French/Dutch.

1. When you appear for the exam with your car, on your own: You can take a (authorized) translator with you  who sits in the car during the exam and translates the examiner to you and you to the examiner. If you hire a translator yourself you pay him separately.
2. If you go through a driving school: Some schools (English speaking) arrange the translator for you while they make appointment for your practical test. School charges extra money for translator in addition to their normal fee (car+instructor to accompany you, etc) for the test.

This does not imply the exam is in English. Medium of the test is French/Dutch itself depending on the area. By using the translator, you just communicate in English. That's it :)

If you know an official exam center where the examiner communicates in English, let us know. We are curious..

Hi Tongesai,

I saw your answer on the post related to driving lessons in English in Brussels.
By any chance, do you have the address of that driving school in Tervuren that offers theory lessons in English.
Many thanks for your answer.

Best Regards,
Prashant

PKasera wrote:

Hi Tongesai,

I saw your answer on the post related to driving lessons in English in Brussels.
By any chance, do you have the address of that driving school in Tervuren that offers theory lessons in English.
Many thanks for your answer.

Best Regards,
Prashant

https://www.vab.be/en/driving-school/dr … /b-licence