Vietnam rules for foreigners driving motorcycles and cars...

Hi,

I'm getting all kinds of conflicting info on the web about the rules for a foreigner driving a motorcycle or car in Vietnam.

I'm planning on an extended stay (Oct 2015 - June 2016) in Vietnam.   Could anyone give me some idea of the current rules if I....

1.  Buy a motorcycle when I arrive  (Driver's license needed and registering it...)
2.  Rented a self-drive car for a short time. (Driver's license needed...)

Thanks for taking you time to help me out....
Ken

Renting a car would be too much of a liability. Imagine people crashing into you and even though it's not your fault but you will end up paying for their damages. It's best to just ride the bus or hitchhike.

Buy a bike.. Just take with you international license.. 1968.. It is hassle to register it if you dont live here. Just make sure you get "blue" paper.

Or you can transfer your current license.. Will take about a week or so.

Hi Ken,

For the motorbike, you better buy a bike above 50cc, because it doesn't require license.

shulily wrote:

Hi Ken,

For the motorbike, you better buy a bike above 50cc, because it doesn't require license.

Below.. Not above.. Above 50cc are anything +50cc like 115,125.135 until

50cc no need license.
A1 below 175cc
A2 above 175cc (unlimited)

Thank you ;  v  ; my mistake ;  v  ;

Forgot A3 for motorcycle with 3 wheels.

If you have some Vietnamese friend buy an old motorbike under their name. For license, transfer your home country license with Vietnamese one or be an 'independent' driver like me  :)