Pregnancy / Childbirth in Malta

Hello, I am in the early stages of pregnancy, and was planning to move to Malta at the start of November. I am currently a UK citizen so Im wondering how it will work there - do I need health insurance? Are there state hospitals like the NHS here and are they free? If not, what kind of cost would I be looking at? Has anyone had a baby in Malta and can offer some advice?

Many thanks,

Samantha

Hi there

I am currently 27 weeks pregnant living in Gozo. So far I've had 3 scans all free with a EHIC card. The hospital is a little old looking, but the docs and the midwives have all been nice so far. I also attended antenatal classes here, in both Maltese and English. I would really like to have a homebirth, and am meeting with the doctor on Friday to discuss it, but I don't think it will be possible. They don't have epidurals here in Gozo, but please look into hypnobirthing, it gives you lots of good tips on how to breathe and stay relaxed :)

If you would like something a little more modern, Malta (main island) has good hospitals, both government and private. Good luck!

EHIC is meant for emergency travel within EU, it is not a health care card.

If you are resident you will need to make sure you have either private health care or cover via work/ spouse/partner.

Terry