Visa- X visa

Hello,

I need help. I am originally from Mauritius and got married to an Indian. I am on entry visa (X visa). I am not allowed to work under such visa. I am of indian origin which makes be eligible to apply for OCI cards. However since i am the fifth generation and my application was not considered. Can anyone tell me if i am allowed to obtain an OCI card if my mother apply since she falls on the fourth generation. I am considering to start working as soon as possible. Kindly advise what can be done. I got few job opportunities but couldn't join because of my visa. Feeling really frustrated!!!!

Regards,
Vanessa

I'm no expert but if you read the new Citizenship (Amendment) Ordinance OCI 2015, it is quite clear that only if you, your parent, grandparent or great grandparent can prove Indian citizenship can you apply. So your mother obtaining an OCI will not help you. Which means the two year waiting period post marriage applies if qualifying for an OCI through an Indian spouse.

A word of caution too - if your Indian spouse passes away or you get divorced, you will lose your OCI and have to leave the country, even if you have children who are Indian citizens. The only alternative is if you qualify after living in India as an OCI for over a year and are willing to give up your Mauritius citizenship for Indian citizenship.

While not fair at least the X visa permits you and your spouse to live together - which is better than how some countries handle foreign national spouses.

So... looks like you have more frustration ahead unless you make this disadvantage an opportunity. Why not focus on furthering your studies? See if your spouse will help open a business in his name that you can run? Get involved with any and all activities that will longer term make your living in India more successful?

Dear all,
It is the most desired  response given to someone with a problem that too within a week.Everyday Asia,may your tribe increase(at least on the blog.Please keep it up.
Best Art

Hello,

Thank you so much Everyday Asia, I am trying to sort things out. I went to FRRO office. They told me i need to get a nativity certificate to be be able to go forward with my oci application. Looking forward to apply .
Otherwise i have to consider studying further.

Thank a lot for advising.

Take care.

Vanessa