Could not take up job offer - What would be the consequences?

Recently, I got an employment offer and an employment visa too with a construction company for an IT support position in Muscat, Oman. However, due to an unfortunate personal issue at my home in India; I had to pull out and could not take up the offer a week before I was supposed to join. Communicated the same to my employer who was annoyed (rightly so) but appears to have understood the situation to some extent.

My question is,

1) Will I have to pay back the visa and labor clearance cost to my employer ?

2) What will happen to the employment visa now ? Can the employer get it canceled and/or hire someone else at least ? I'm really upset with myself (as it was my first overseas job) and feel truly sorry for my employer too.

3) And will I be able to apply for any job vacancies in future with other companies in Oman or anywhere in the Gulf ?

Please reply.

dear
The offer you already singed with them ? you got you visa in your hand its by your name ?

Hi kpsp,

Find my comments to your questions below :

1) Will I have to pay back the visa and labor clearance cost to my employer ? - Since you will not be entering Oman, there is no way of compensating your employer on the costs incurred in arranging for your employment visa.

2) What will happen to the employment visa now ? Can the employer get it canceled and/or hire someone else at least ? I'm really upset with myself (as it was my first overseas job) and feel truly sorry for my employer too. - No. Your employer cannot do anything but to wait it out for a minimum period of 6 months. Plus your employer has to leave a return ticket in your name at the airport should you decide to use the visa and enter Oman, without their knowledge. Also, your employer cannot hire any other expatriate till such time your visa is cancelled. To cut a long story short, you have made it complicated for your employer, as well as for yourself by doing what you have done - whether willingly or unwillingly.

3) And will I be able to apply for any job vacancies in future with other companies in Oman or anywhere in the Gulf ? - Well, you are free to apply for jobs in any other country, but you will have an issue with any offers from Oman, when your passport details are sent for an employment visa.

Hi Sumitran, Many thanks for the reply. I appreciate your clarification.