Moving to Puerto Rico- Where to Live -Where to find local crafts

Living near water is a requirement . Not interested in large city.. Would prefer not to drive. Need something affordable for a retired,but, active man. Would like to be close to  medical center.

Have traveled to Republic Dominican and purchased paintings some Taino in style along with Larimar jewelry . Therefore I would be interested in purchasing local arts & crafts and jewelry for resale.

Retired from commercial real estate sales and development( Still Licensed) Lived in Key Largo, Florida and had a Stone Crab fishing business. Also  had a Master Captains license. Sailed & Motored part of Caribbean

Love water and island life and culture. Can anyone suggest a port ( village or town ) for me to live. Any advise or insight appreciated.
Karl

r

I would suggest looking at Fajardo, it has Marinas, it is by the water, close to the islands of Vieques, Culebra, many atols, and the rest of the virgin islands. 45 minutes from San Juan. Also Ceiba is not bad area and it will be getting a lot of development over the next 20 years or so. Humacao and also Naguabo may also be of interest to you. All close to the water and all close to the rain forest also, Humacao has a reasonably large population of Americans, All these are on the east side of the island with lots of places to sail to.
- welcome.topuertorico.org/city/fajardo.shtml
- welcome.topuertorico.org/city/ceiba.shtml
- welcome.topuertorico.org/city/naguabo.shtml
- welcome.topuertorico.org/city/humacao.shtml
Also see this site for things to do: - puertoricodaytrips.com
- welcome.topuertorico.org/culture/artsc.shtml
- puertoricanart-crafts.com

The largest number of americans in the island are in either San Juan, Dorado or Rincon. I will let others speak about those areas.

As to driving ...... You are going to need a car anywhere in the island other than the San Juan metro areas. Puerto Rico is a small island, many towns are only a few miles from each other but transportation is very limited without a car.

As to Crafts, they are all over the island, but I would suggest stoping in Loiza and keeping an eye for craft related or Taino related events that happen at different times of the year in all of PR.

When are you considering to come look for property?
Also let me know if you need a realtor to show you around.
Welcome to the forum
Rey

You should visit some of us.  I would suggest the east coast because there is more boating, with access to the Virgin Islands. I live near, but not directly on the ocean in Humacao in a place called Palmas del Mar.  It is a five-minute ride by golf cart to the ocean.   Also, the Fajardo area in Northeast Puerto Rico  has an active boating community.
And, as a bonus, there are at least two of us who are part of this forum who live on the east coast, know how to sail and would be delighted to crew for you.

I will recommend the west part od the island from Guanica thru Rincon. For boating there is Combate, Boquerón, La Parguera, and other areas that will be more affordable that the East side (sorry guys!). There is activities every weekend in La Parguera and Boquerón with local artisans selling their articles. As Rey mentioned, any part of the island away from the metro zone will require a car. Also, this areas are within 45 minutes to an hour from major hospitals in Mayaguez and Ponce.

Last time I was in La Parguera they were developing some new condos a few blocks from the ocean with boat parking and car garage. If I remember they were price starting around $120K....

- tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147319-d148805-Reviews-La_Parguera-Puerto_Rico.html