Hobby shops

Greetings all. This may be a strange concern in light of possible volcanic eruptions, reports of minor civil unrest and possible devastation due to El Nino. Are there any hobby shops in the Guayaquil area that cater to builders of model trains and aircraft?

I will be returning to Ecuador in November and staying for at least six months if my visa extension is approved. Possibly longer if a volunteer visa is applied for. I volunteer for an organization dedicated to increasing the populations of some of Ecuador's native Macaws. The location is somewhat remote, on a farm,  and currently without internet service so entertainment is almost non-existent. Now that I am fully retired I can dedicate more time to this project.

I am planning on bringing some of the model kits I have been collecting for the past 35 plus years and now may have time to construct but know that I cannot bring some modeling supplies such as glues and paints. Some substitutes will be available at hardware/building supply stores but finding a hobby shop catering to kit builders would be a plus.

The model kits are about the only thing I have left to transfer from the states to Ecuador as I have brought some essentials on prior visits. The comments (quite often snarky but usually entertaining) on this and other expat sites have convinced me give away, sell or trash most belongings. I still have a house to finish remodeling and hopefully sell but any appliances, furniture, art, etc., will go with the house. Once sold I will apply for the retirement visa and not spend as much time travelling between the US and Ecuador.

Speaking of tourist visa extensions, I requested an appointment with the Consulate in Atlanta to apply for the extension as I had read on some of the expat sites that this was possible. The Consulate replied that they did not issue tourist visa extensions. They did kindly agree to schedule an appointment later this month to discuss all my visa options to include the investor visa and the retirement visa.

X

xaminer wrote:

I requested an appointment with the Consulate in Atlanta to apply for the extension as I had read on some of the expat sites that this was possible. The Consulate replied that they did not issue tourist visa extensions.

X

Clearly, you are doing a more thorough job than the average Expat in exploring your possibilities in Ecuador, Mr. X. :top:

Historically, the Ecuadorian consulates in the U.S. have enabled applicants to obtain a 180-day non-immigrant visa to visit EC.  This is not technically an extension visa, so the information you received from Atlanta so far is probably correct.

Another possibility for you after getting the customary 90-day T-3 tourist stamp on arrival is to obtain a 180-day non-immigrant tourist-visa extension while in country.

cccmedia in Quito

xaminer wrote:

...my visa options to include the investor visa and the retirement visa.

X

The easiest visa in your case should be the pensioner visa.  You have more than twice the required monthly pension-income ... and the U.S. Social Security Administration has historically been co-operative in providing official confirmation of such.

If you were to invest into the 25K CD scenario and later cashed out to move to, say, Peru ... any money wired out of Ecuador is subject to a five percent EC tax.

cccmedia in Quito

xaminer wrote:

Are there any hobby shops in the Guayaquil area that cater to builders of model trains and aircraft?

X

Check out Hobby Shop of Guayaquil, on Avenida de las Américas -- in Edificio Montevello, near calle Miguel Heredia.  Tel. (593) 7282 8741

source... www.telefonosdelecuador.com

Thank you CCCMEDIA for your answers to my questions. I have tried to digest so much information in the past 2 plus years as to visa options and other matters associated with a move to Ecuador that I find myself missing some of the obvious answers.

It appears that I should have asked the Consulate in Atlanta about the 12-9, 180 day visa rather than an extension to the T-3. I am still seeing information that states the 12-9 has to be applied for in the country of origin. I am trying to avoid the time and travel involved with applying for the T-3 visa extension while in Ecuador being that my location will be somewhat remote and I will not immediately (if ever) have personal transportation.

The pensioner's visa is the ideal option for me in the long run. However, with the house in north Georgia still requiring some work and the unknown time involved in closing procedures if the house does sell, I do not yet want to limit my option to be out of Ecuador for only 90 days for each of the first 2 years. The investor visa was a less attractive option (costly penalties for transferring money from Ecuador) and became more so when I read that the time away from Ecuador limitation was the same as the pensioner's visa.

Anyway, the promised appointment with the Atlanta Consulate should clear up any remaining visa questions that I have. An Ecuadorian friend has promised to accompany me to the appointment in order to step in if I get that "ciervo en los faros" look.

Also, thank you for the hobby shop reference in Guayaquil. You do go the extra mile in seeking information. I had done some limited online research but became quickly frustrated as many of the references appeared to be geared toward shops for handicrafts. I have no intention of creating my first beaded handbag or knitting my first pair of mittens although I do have admiration for the masterpieces some people create in regard to those items.

X

By getting the customary T-3 stamp on arrival and the in-country 180-day extension, you can be in Ecuador up to 270 days in a year.

The process can be repeated, starting on the one-year anniversary of receiving the T-3 stamp.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks again for your information. The 90 day tourist visa with a 180 day extension would be ideal. I will definitely be pursuing this option until it is decided if I can qualify for a volunteer visa.

X