Health insurance for students?

Hello,

I have a question regarding the health insurance system in Malta....

My situation is this:

I am moving to Malta next month, to start my degree at the University. A couple of weeks ago my health insurance expired but I still have a valid European Health Insurance Card.

I am currently living in Ireland and I am from Germany.

To start my degree I will need health insurance...but I am not sure...will this EHIC be valid even with no insurance "underneath" it? Is there a Maltese health insurance for students from abroad? Or will I have to buy a private one?

I would be very grateful for your help!

Thank you veeeery much! I have really no idea how to find this information or who to ask for it!

And I can't wait to move to Malta  :)

If your underlying  health insurance expired then your EHIC is also expired even if the date on the card still says valid until ....

For residence purposes the EHIC card is not accepted anyway.

Your best bet will be a private health insurance for residence purposes. It is not expensive when you are young and without existing illnesses. You can just go a company here in Malta , pay the yearly fee in cash and off you go  -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Hello thanks very much for the reply and sorry for the delay.

Ah, it is not exactly for residence purposes (if I understood correctly having a health insurance is a requirement of the university, I could be wrong but I am planning to get an insurance either way ;))

So students can not get access to the state healthcare, I understood this correctly?

Hm, I will be on Malta only since 3 days until university starts (+ apartment hunting). Maybe I better apply for something right now, if anyone has some recommendations regarding the cheapest insurance providers I would be greatful (in the meanwhile I am comparing myself...).

If you live ( and study) in Malta for more than 3 months you have to register as resident for which you have to present a valid health insurance coverage. The university also requires a valid health insurance from its students.

And no , students from Germany ( in your case) do not qualify for free state health coverage.

There are several insurance companies here in Malta. It should not cost too much as you are probably young. I don't think there will be big differences between the different companies.

I'm insured with Atlas but don't regard this as a recommendation as I have never had to make a claim so far so I can't judge the actual service.

Cheers
Ricky