Cost of living in Bermuda

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Bermuda.

Don't forget to mention where in Bermuda you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Bermuda?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Hello from Bermuda!
Well the cost of living is extremely high here.
Accomodation prices: (1 b/d, 1 bath, livingroom, kitchen apt.) usually starts at around $1500 (USD) per month (and that's if you are lucky).
Food costs: per 2 people per week...$250 + (really depends on what you eat and where you shop. Keep in mind that a loaf of bread (for example) starts at about $5.25 and starting at $6 for a box of cereal)
Mobile phone: (better to use the pre paid cards if you do not want monthly billing) monthly billing for normal services are around $60 + per month.
Electric bill: between $200-300 + monthly (depending on how much you use)
Internet cafes are available but most people use it at home. Internet + telephone costs about $75 + monthly.
Cable starts around $65 monthly for basic + about $14 or so for movie channels, sports, PPV, etc...
To fill a medium size car with gas may take between $50 and $70. Good thing is that Bermuda is only 21 miles and so it could last a while before you need to fill up again!
Eating out: per person (fast food) $8 + (medium range) $25+ (high range) $40 + (alcohol drinks $$$)
Clubs: a good enough variety I guess (mostly Italian owned). Addmission is moderate. Some clubs are for "members only" and require a smart casual dress code. Some of these are "Opus" and "LV's." More 'easy-going' ones include "Cafe Cairo" and "Level."
No seperate charges for heat (in winter) it comes in the normal electric bill, same goes for air conditioning in summer. Some places require a seperate water bill if tapped to the govt. water system but most homes have water tanks that, when run dry, you must pay per load for water delivery (usually about $75 per load). Water is delivered in water trucks and pumped from the truck into your house water tank. Rain water collects in these tanks as well, so lots of rain = no need to buy water!!
Misc. costs such as clothing, attractions, etc...are all different and greatly depends on where you are shopping or visiting. Most attractions charge a moderate addmission fee (the aquarium/museum/zoo is $10 for each adult).
Hope that helps a bit! Any questions, leave a reply or send me a message!

thanks for the informations!

Hi everyone!!

I just received an offer to take care of children over there while I would finish my online studies, paid around 3500us$, do you think it could be ok or really impossible ?

Thanks

Julie

Hi Julie

That depends on  a lot of things. Are you going to be living in the house with the family or is your accommodation paid for? if it is then I would say absolutely yes. $3500 would be a struggle if you were having to rent your own place. What else are they offering you? transport etc.. All in all though if you have free accommodation you should be fine ;)

Hi!!
I will have to pay my accommodation, they say they will provided me a moped and that I will be able to save money...
Ver doubful now... ahah

Hmmm.. I am not so sure then. If you are ok with a house share you could get away with between $800 - $1400. for everything else check this out: Cost of living guide

After reading through that you should be able to make an educated decision.

Hi there!! Yes I've already had a look to this website and it is quite interesting and usefull, I also exchanged with some people living there and I think it should be alright as I am used to live very simply. I am veg', don't watch TV and just liken having a fresh beer with friends! ahah
Still have one week to decide.
Thanks anyway to have taken time to answer me, I truly appreciate!
Enjoy!!

Assuming I wish to use public transport, have three kids to pay for (schooling, food, clothes and medical) and I am easily entertained can I live comfortably on $170k p.a

I know it's expensive but I've yet to find a conclusive like for like 'calculator' to see if it's worth the risk.  NB my wife may be able to gain employment as a primary school teacher and we're looking for out of town 3 bedroom rented and furnished accomodation.

Any help greatly accepted.

A

Hello alanesson,

Welcome to Expat.com! ;)

I invite you to create a new topic "concerning your accommodation search" on the Bermuda forum for better visibility.

Thank you and good luck.

Rouma

The last full answer to this post was in 2009 so now four years on....

We are a couple and have a housing allowance which covers the rent.  Our allowance permitted us to consider rents from $5000 to $11,000 per month.  This gets a family sized home ( most were far too big for the two of us). We could find a comfortable executive style rental for around $4000.
Electricity is expensive and we are paying around $750 pcm.  we run air conditioning, tumbledryer and washing machine, but cook on propane gas cooker, which is costing around $150 per month.
Cable TV and broadband are costing around $600 per month.
Car cost $8000 to buy second hand and uses about $65 every fortnight. We do not have scooters.
Gardening and maintenance are all in the rent.
Food is about £180 per week so less than the person stated for 2009. 
Household cleaning and essentials are about $300 per month.
Furniture costs $1400 for two seater sofa; $700 for table and chairs for kitchen. The bed set is the most expensive and will probably be over $2000.
Eating out will cost about $80 for dinner for two without wine.
Days out range from $0 for beach to $60 for the caves.
Clothes are around $60 for truosers, $50 for tops or shirts, $150 for shoes.
Posting letter back to UK is about $2 depending on weight.
Bus costs £20 for nine rides approx.
Taxi is around £40 from airport to Hamilton, but around $15 for any shorter trips.
KT