Making the move

Husband and I are seriously thinking about chucking it all and moving in May or June to Cambodia.  Was in the capitol for three weeks with students doing volunteer work and Siem Reap for the day.  We are professors at a small private university.  We have our Ph.D.'s and teach management, marketing, project management, and entrepreneurship. How hard will it be for us to pick up some kind of work to allow us to live comfortably?  Do the skills we can bring over to Cambodia add value for us?  We don't want to teach English at a school.  I think after twenty years of university teaching we may have a little more to offer. 

How do we go about making contacts? 

We don't need fancy housing but after living for two weeks in a guest house with no AC we know that we have to have AC and really good internet.  Otherwise a small apartment is fine for us.

How much realistically will we need.  We are not at retirement age but are on our late fifties. Very healthy, very mobile and very flexible. 

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Please think and think before moving here.  When you stayed here before maybe there were somethings that attracted you here cheap prices? But work here does not pay that well and also fewer jobs. So, before you check what you have there, please think again.

We have been thinking for awhile.  That is why we aren't going to do it until May or June.  Talked with a few expats over there and told us we would need about $1,000 month to live.  We loved the people of Cambodia the most.   We have traveled around the world and so far Cambodia has come out on top. 

Thank you for your suggestions.  Are there things we should be asking ourselves?  Can you give us any suggestions?

Are you happy there?

I would say, just come and come faster. Your skills are highly required in Cambodia. Open your own company (education, science etc) I am very sure you will be successful. Once you opened your company you get a work permit very fast, I think it's USD 160.- per year, (needs confirmation).

Apartments are between USD 300-500.- (2 bedroom with AC)
One year multi-entry visa USD 300.- (a bit less)

Unfortunate we are not in Cambodia at the moment, otherwise we would give you a helping hand.

Regards Mike

Thank you and if you think about coming again next summer let us know.   :)

We are in Siem Reap every 6 to 8 weeks but only for a couple of days. Lets be in touch, perhaps we meet up, regards Mike

its better to try to get an expat contract before coming here.

once you arrive and start knocking on doors, not much will be offered.

last but not least, 3 weeks in any given location does not give you the idea of what the place realistically has to offer.  try talking to expats that lived here for years and see what were their experiences.

opening your own business means sinking money in the place; especially renting a good office space in a prime location.  business rentals are paid early; not each month.

good luck.

Valued points you mentioned. However if one has a university degree things are quite different. The possibility of getting work in an academically level outshines the many that are looking for basic teaching jobs or related. PHD levels and above is highly required in Cambodia for many reasons but the basic is to enhance education, a vital component to progress further within the Khmer structure.