Referrals needed - Graphic designer, architect, Translator, Photragher

Hi - Is it my imagination or are referrals hard to come by? I have been trying to find either a freelance architect or graphic designer who would be available for a short term project. I also need a photographer and a translator for a few weeks. I get this usually goes under job placement but I thought the forum might be a way of reaching out to learn about the experience others are facing with referrals.

Many of those positions such as photographer and translator can be found on this site or by asking people who they can use.

A freelance architect is a bit harder tip come by. But many graphic designers are available depending what you are looking for and how much you're willing to pay.

Are you liking to hire an expat or local?

As long as the architect or graphic designer has experience, academically credentialed and speaks English and is immediately available, I am willing to consider them.

Of course, there are countless photographers and translators. But, as I am sure you know, it's better to work through a referral.

For graphic design talk to Karl Corney. You can search him on this site. He's a good guy and can probably find you a graphic designer. He's involved in the arts here.

What about it Biz Man?, I am an  Architect, 15 years exp. I am here in HCMC.

IMO referrals are only valuable from people you trust. First you ask your friends if they have had a good experience with a kind of service you seek. If none have, then you must give up on referrals as a source, and you are on your own to find and interview prospects. You can start with communities to which you belong and have some connection, like expat-blog (expat.com now!) but I still  wouldn't trust strangers as much as friends.