Visas etc

I'm looking to move permanently.I'm 80 and the last of my tribe.  I just want a simple apartment
on the water, either the Sea of.. or Pac Ocean. I just want to bicycle and count the breakers
and catch up on a lot of reading.  What kind of paperwork do I need visas US Pport etc.I called the Mex Embassy but have not heard. No pets, No car..
Bolamb

Temporary residence visa - need to apply outside Mexico . Main requirement is a minimum income of $ 1500 / month ans application fees.

'Tourist visa' allow you to stay up to 180 days in Mexico. No need to apply before, you get the visa when you arrive in Mexico. You need to get out of Mexico before 180 days, you can come back after 72 hours outside Mexico.

It has been a long time since I got my resident Visa.
This much I can be pretty sure of:

You need proof of income of $2000/mo.  (Bank statements for 12 months)
Your US passport.
Two front and one right side view passport size photos.
It's possible the consulate will require additional documentation.
Be prepared to stay in Albuquerque a few days or make the trip from T or C again.

Take these to the Mexican Consulate in Albuquerque and apply.
You'll pay a fee somewhere between $100 and $200 from what I've read.
You'll get a sticker in your passport allowing you to enter Mexico for the purpose of seeking residency.
Once in Mexico, you have 30 days to go to the nearest INM office to complete the process.
There will be more photos and fees.
Don't be afraid to ask at the consulate what the official requirements and fees are at INM..
In most cases, INM takes a week or less.
In some consulates, you can get same day service.
If you want to bring household effects with you, you'll need to prepare an inventory in Spanish, don't be afraid to ask about it. 
If you expect to take a car, there's more paperwork and fees but I think that happens at the border.  Don't hesitate to ask.

In Las Vegas, NV and Zacatecas, I found all personnel helpful and courtesy.

My best suggestion is to take the drive from T or C to the Mexican Consulate in Albuquerque with the paperwork I suggested and start the process in person.  You could call first and see if you can get direct answers.

Look on the internet as there are we site that tell you the rules and also ones that will sell you books on just how to do this.  There are income requirements to do this and it is best to get a Mexican attorney to asset you if you plan to stay in Mexico forever.  This is what I am going to do but working up to it slowly. first id go and find s place you really like.  Try extended stays for a couple of months and get out there and make Mexican friends and learn there language.

You go to the nearest Mexican Consulate.  No idea where Albuquerque came from.  A Temporal Visa requires an income of about $1500 and probably even less with the value of the dollar these days

sparksmex wrote:

You go to the nearest Mexican Consulate.  No idea where Albuquerque came from.  A Temporal Visa requires an income of about $1500 and probably even less with the value of the dollar these days

BOLAMB93 is from Truth or Consequences, NM it appears.  Albuquerque is the closest consulate.

Contrary to what another person posted, several websites say the income requirement is $2000.  there's no consistency from one website to another..

Thanks to all for your replies.  It pretty much kills my effort which were tentative anyway.
My income is 1382 and not in the ball park.
I'll go to plan B which is to buy a piece of land on the Rio Grande with a shack  on it and fish, read, and keep company wi th the coyotes.  I'm 80 now and though in good health, every day is
a crapshoot, but I'm happy no matter what happens, so THANKS AGAIN.
BOLAMB

Reality .... The amount needed is based on a multiple of Zone A (Mexico City) daily minimum wage. With today's exchange rate many consulates have reduced their US$ income requirements.

Income: 300 x 70 (daily min. wage) / 17 (exchange rate) = $1235 / month for 6 months

Investments: 5000 x 70 / 17 = $20,588 in an account for 12 months.

Consulate fee is ~$36. Albuquerque or El Paso are closest.

Once in Mexico 3519 pesos plus cost of photos and someone to assist if you wish. No need for an attorney.

Everything you need will be explained here. www.soniadiaz.mx

I am not near the ocean so can not assist personally but happy to answer questions.

Come and live your dream.

saludos

Sonia

Dear Sonia,

Thanks for your encouraging reply.  I'll Keep your info in mind.

Thanks Bob