Medication.. can i get Tamoxifen around Marsaskala?

I'm coming to Malta mid October to live in Marsaskala. I need to have access to Tamoxifen. My Doc in the uk can give me a few months worth until I get settled. Anyone know if its available and from where. I called the surgery in Marsaskala but they were a bit vague.
Ali

i would reccomend you visit or ring a chemist and ask them - they are a great source of information
if not you can possibly order from chemist direct and get them delivered to your house in malta

Cheers Rob.

I am on Tamoxifen  also.  Any  pharmacy  can get it for you. The official name is Novaldex and a month supply cost about 20 euros, If a  pharmacy  does not have it available, they can  order it for you . The longest I ever had to  wait  was 3 hours.  I live in Gozo so I don't think that you should have any problem in Malta.

Thank you Ursula, much appreciated.

Btw i think if u have the british healthcard u might be entitlef for free med. Also if u need a dr here let me knoe

?? Free medication am I missing out on something lol - I take tramadol regularly and have to pay

Tamoxifen if for breast cancer  and  if you have the entitlement card its free, but only for cancer patients. I have private insurance.  so have  to  pay in advance and then claim the refund, but actually  my oncologist  recommended the 'free/ for life medication for this.  Only  I am not entitled. Be  grateful  you are not a cancer patient. Rob

Ah ok I didn't realise that -and yes suppose I have to be greatful for some things

no problem, good health to you

I am moving from UK to Malta
I'm told I need to get Private Health Insurance to get Residence.
However Insurer will not cover for pre existing conditions, and as I had breast cancer in 2004 and I am on Tamoxifen, Insurer will not cover.

In UK I get mammography, oncologist check and Tamoxifen through NHS.
I was issued a card by NHS which at least for 5 years provides me with any free medications.

How does it work when I will be transferring to Malta becomeing Malta Resident?
Will I have access to public health system for oncologist follow up, mammography and Tamoxifen?

typo 2014

As I see it, any UK national will be entitled to the same treatment as the Maltese, which will include Oncology. My wife doesn't take tamoxifen due to side effects but takes Anastrozole which works differently with less side effects, We enquired at local pharmacy about the cost of this drug and it was frightening, quoted currently about €200 per month. As she is in her 4 of 5 years of taking the drug she is prepared to stop taking earlier if she cannot get it for a lot less.
We are note sure if it appears on the exempted list.
I was assured today by someone who has lived here for many years that the health setup here is for more efficient and thorough than the UK but we have yet to test it out ourselves.
Ray