Opening a bank account and obtaining health insurance

Hi...moving to Varna as I type this...worried about opening a bank account and obtaining health insurance..I understand there are a few local health insurance providers that I can obtain a policy through..does anyone know if that's easy or difficult to do?

Banking I keep getting mixed messages on..last time I was in varna , I tried to open an account w my EU passport and the bank wanted an additional ID number, which I do not have....does anyone know why my passport would not be enough of an ID? Has anyone opened an account with just their passport as identification?  I did see a post about using the Postbank....that seems doable..any comments greatly appreciated..

Lastly are there any venues for English speaking people to get together in Varna? Would love to meet people when I arrive.

Hi i live in Varna and it was simple to open a bank account. I have Piraeusbank. Also it  is easy to get a health-insurance

Greetings,

Paul

Thanks for the encouragement and help...much appreciated.

Who,do,you,use for health insurance ?

Hi,,You can get cheap Health ins in BG,,also apply for a free" European Health Ins Card" which covers basic needs for 5years,,

I myself are a Dutchman and i still use my Dutch card; my wife has Uniqa life and costs 160 lv for a year. But a health insurance and a bank acount are very important because otherwise you can't get your card for permission to stay in Bulgaria at the Migration Office

It depends what your coming here to do. To live/work retire etc. I've been here two years when I came I had to provide copies of my passport, English bank account, European health insurance card as well as showing I had somewhere to live to prove I won't be a drain on the Bulgarian system. This allowed me to apply for my residencey permit to live/work. This is something that's required if you plan to stay for longer than 3 months. The id document number is required for a lot of things like opening a bank account here and so on. Of course it depends on where you're coming from, i would suggest to get in touch with you embassy or consulate in BG they will be able to tell you exactly what you need.

Hi Almost there 2015,

Just to inform you that a new topic has been created as from your post on the Varna forum ;)

The ID Document number you are referring to is your passport number ?

No, when you come to Bulgaria you need to apply for a Bulgarian identity card, more like a residency permit. All foreigner's regardless of whether from the EU or not need to apply for this if you want to stay here longer then 3 months. You can get it for 1, 3 or 5 years I belive. This permit has a personal number which is unique to  you and this number is used in such applications  e.g. when opening a bank account. To apply for it you need to go to the branch of the ministry of interior in varna and they can tell you exactly what you need. You can also contact your local embassy they will be able to advise you as well.

Thanks; I need all the help and advise I can get. Much appreciate it

Hi, I am from the US living in Plovdiv.

Bank Account: I first opened a business account at Unicredit Bulbank for my registered Trade Representation Office (TRO) using my Bulstat certificate, my attorney went with me and the banker acted like it was a big inconvenience but did it. I think she would have turned me away if my Bulgarian attorney was not present. Then I opened a personal account on my own and they were very cooperative. Since, everyone at the bank has been friendly and helpful.

I selected Unicredit because of they are English freindly and have English language ATM's and online banking.

Health Insurance: I am working on this right now and will share what I learn. Bulstrand Life, part of Vienna Insurance group is who I am researching at the moment, they were referred by another expat here in the group.

Best,

Lawrence

Thanks.  Your reply was most helpful

I also use Uniqa for insurance... the minimum required runs me 81 bgn for a year.

Thanks....all the posts have been so helpful...

I have a question about medical exams for the purpose of work..where does a foreigner go to get a health exam for the purpose of taking a job? My employer seems to think it's a difficult task....I can't imagine that....

Thanks

Thank you all for this forum. I am currently in Nigeria and want to open a non for profit branch office in Bulgaria later.

I contact a good attorney who said I need to sign all papers for Bulstat registration and I need to get a place, insurance and bank account with 2000 euro for my personal and company account to get 1 year TRP. His point is it will aid my TRP application approval.

My point is cant I get approval if I have deposit of  1000 euro?

Second question is what can I do online because  my company would not be allow me to do buying and selling business am thinking what else can I do to pay my bills in BG?  I will love to hear comment?

Thank you.

Olawale

Nigeria...wow. NOt a good place to be and asking questions..I have found that there are many financial scams that originate in Nigeria...makes me very Leary about giving out information..sorry to be so blunt! Hoping you can find your way, and that you will not be asking for any loans or investment help....I'm sorry, but one has to beware these days..just too too many scams around.. The people in Bulgaria are very nice, and helpful...please don't abuse them..

Hope you find what you need...

Thank you for being honest with your opinion.
Firstly  I think its wrong to judge a book by it cover. a Lawyer i told from Latvia that  I want to relocate to Bulgaria told me in an astonishing tone. Why Bulgaria. I said I like to  explore there for it link Asia and Africa to Europe. He said Bulgaria is like Somalia in Africa. yet i did not take his word for it. I hope you understand what that implies?

Secondly, all I will say here is we have very few bad eggs that are giving us bad publicity out there, and I said that with emphasis considering their population in Nigeria,may less than 5 percent of 150 millions.

The scourge of terrorism by Boko  Haram  sect has damaged our image lately,this as you know is not a Nigeria problem but a global scourge.

Yet I  stand tall anywhere I go as a true ambassador of  my country. Am proud to be a Nigerian, a world citizen too.

We have many European,  Asian  and American that visit the shores of my country because we are friendly people.

You are first person to address me like that here,  I think it's not a nice remark to me and millions  of good people of Nigeria. Please for your own interest don't judge anyone because he is from a particular country you perceived to be fraudulent.

Olawale
A proud Nigerian.

Having worked extensively all over Africa including over 2 years in Nigeria and Somalia I find the comment that Bulgaria is like the European Somalia offensive, the Bulgarians are warm and friendly unlike the friendly people of Africa who while shaking one hand are picking your pocket with the other.
We will move to Bulgaria next year from the UK to give us a better slower pace of life, and if we are told we need 2000 Euros we will take 2000 Euros and not argue the point that its not necessary, this is clearly one of those cultural differences that many of us find galling .....When in Bulgaria ....as they say

bul bank has an on line account also and I only used my passport

Hello everyone,

I find very appalling and unacceptable manner of approach by few expat here. Almost there 2015 made racial statement toward my country.

Tay709 join suite by going off the track or could not understand clearly what I said before jumping into unnecessary conclusion.

You claimed to have work "everywhere" in Africa with two years in my country Nigeria. Am sure a Nigerian drove you to your hotel, assisted you,served your meals and made your stay comfortable but the best you could say is someone shaking your hand and picking your money with the other hand. I consider this a racist comments and people like you have questionable character no wonder you keep moving from place to place. I hope you will stay in Bulgaria where you claim is "slower ".

The statement you reacted to was not credited to me but a lawyer in Lithuania by the name Marius  Rudalevicius and his mobile number is +37060920646, my names are Olawale Oyinlola.  Let him know if you care to find out from him that am still interested in Bulgaria anyway.

I don't know anywhere in the world where it is inappropriate to negotiate better deal, someone here explain how he also got a cheaper deal when he open his branch office,he was kind enough to share his lawyers contact.

I am here to ask questions that will enable me make an informed decision. I think you and others like you don't have to waste our time our if you won't be part of the  solution. You are free to open open your our forum to tell everyone about your memoir during your stay in Nigeria.

The truth be told your comment is uncalled for insult and galling.

Thanks.

Thank you  Tefpet

oyinlami if you do not wish to be corrected then do not make comments that are incorrect or about a country that  could be deemed offensive without first hand experience or that you can substantiate.
At no point did I tell you that I had worked EVERYWHERE in Africa .... but "extensively" including Nigeria and Somalia and I can assure you Bulgaria is nothing like either of them no matter where you go ,
But on your point of "to negotiate" if you asked me to design an detail a property you had bought in Bulgaria, and I asked you for 200 Euros to do this work and you then offered me 100 I would take that as an insult and have nothing more to do with you.... if you offered 180 that would be a point of negotiation, however I think you are correct that this is a conversation for the Cultural Shock Forum not here...
I apologise if you feel offended but I talk straight and as I find.

Thanks

This whole situation began when I asked my personal questions here on September 9th. I feel this forum is here to guide and assist expat relocating to other countries, nobody is a monopoly of knowledge
. If a question is asked and you find it insulting you can just keep mute because by all standard my question is not completely out of place. My reaction started after Almost There 2015 said.  "Nigeria wow. Not a good place to be and be asking questions. I realised many scams are from there.... ". What does that got to do with my question? What is he insinuating?

My negotiations style may be insulting to you,and I respect your opinion on that. It's okay but its another culture shock issue to me, I love to negotiate a better deal because I am a shrewd business man.

If I sounded defensive its because I feel our approach to the other person should be out of love not the other way round. I am sorry if you feel offended about my last comment. 

I wish you the best in your pursuit of happiness.