Laerdansk Disappointing

I've been attending the Laerdansk language school nearly a month. I'm on the 'Arbejdsmarkedsrettet dansk' (Danish for the labour market) course. It started off good. I had a capable, fun teacher, the lessons were engaging and fun. Sadly, that's not the case for me anymore.

First our teacher was switched out with a new one two weeks in. This one was totally new to the company, but didn't even know how to work a smart board and share files on the school's intranet. Soon enough new students were joining the class, but instead of them having to catch up, our whole class had to repeat stuff already covered for 3 or 4 days after. Still new students join and we have to play catch up for them.

I find this method of learning very frustrating. I like to progress and not keep repeating things I've learned and are comfortable with. I'm pretty sure at least one other student who started the same time as me feels similar as she too seems frustrated.

I just want to know, has anybody else had a similar experience with Laerdansk? I'm saddened about it. I enjoy learning usually, but these classes seem like such a chore. Am I being unreasonable? I'm expecting my first child, so maybe it's hormones. Perhaps I need to look into a different way of learning Danish.

Hi BritinDenmark

I really do understand your feelings. You are keen to learn the language, but you don't advance as the teachers will always the lowest common denominator set the limits. Of course you will be disappointed, pregnant or not. I'll suggest that you start asking some of the other students about their view on the teaching? I am sure you're not the only one who have such feelings. Next, I would have a little talk with the teacher and ask her if she could suggest a solution to the problem? Maybe, your teacher can do nothing, but then you'll have tried.  Maybe the teacher can split  the class up into two parts and teach them differently, or do something else. Worth a try.

At the Volunteer Centre where I come regularly there is a lesson cafe. Initially meant for school children, but now open for everyone who wants to learn Danish. I think many of the other centres around offer the same possibilities.

The situation described in the OP is a really good reason to move on and find a new place.
If you dislike your tutor and/or their methods, your learning progress with be slower, or just stop.

where is this volunteer Center? Thank you..!
også vil gerne lære dansk

I visit the Frivilligcenter at Humlebæk, but the volunteer centres are spread all over the country.
http://www.frise.dk/frivilligcentre/fin … lligcenter

I suggest that all of them offer lesson help (lektiehjælp) to everybody. How valuable the teaching and help is depends of course on the local volunteers and their skills. A lesson cafe cannot substitute an effective teaching, but can support it.

I know that on Mondays, the volunteer centre runs a cafe for refugees where the locals meet up to speak Danish with them. Of course, everybody is welcome.

You are welcome to send me a pm on the topic if you want to hear more.

I found that learning Danish language through repetition is a good method , of course it's only from my personal  experience as I was busy with my kid ,  and have no time to do full homework, so repetition of the lecture is helping alot. I did mine at IA sprøg centre and it was very good , cause they divided class  based on their educations and skills . anyone who have high educational background and happened to have smart brain, they all choose for the intensive program where you can conclude all the programme in only 6 month period. So you have all the options...