Relocating with Family - Should I bring my car or not?

Hi, we are planning on moving to Fiji within the next 3 months.
I am not sure whether this is the best forum but questions is what we have.
We have been looking for some time for a small business to buy and think we might have found one in Suva. Still in 'due diligence' phase but all seems to check out so far.
We have a pretty clear idea of how much we need to bring to Fiji to qualify for resident/business visa thanks to the really helpful people at the Fiji Embassy here. now it's just a matter of making sure we follow the process exactly.

Our questions are more logistics at this stage
Can anyone recommend a shipping/removalist company?
Any suggestions on health insurance?
We are bringing the family dog and know what is required for quarantine but does anyone have any advice on this?
Any advice on bringing a car with us or buying a car in Fiji?
We are thinking of bringing our 2 year old volkswagen with us but are wondering about servicing it. I have found it very difficult to find out anything about buying new cars and about service.
We plan to rent accomodation for 6 to 12 months before even considering buying. We have the feeling that we will find many more options when 'on the ground' - is this true?
As expats we will be conducting business with both locals and expats as either business owners or decision makers. Any advice?

you seem to have most bases covered very well.

Recommending a shipping company may be a little hard for me here, others might be of more help there. You will need a clearance agent here, many to choose from. I personally recommend to go with the bigger ones. They may not be the cheapest, but there will be little hassle with clearance, quarantine, the military and others. Make sure to check with them WAY BEFORE your container is due in Fiji. Have a complete items list, clean everything well before loading, the usual really.

Health insurance is available from Colonial or New India Assurance.

Bring your own car, do not bring a VW if you can't do some work yourself and get parts. Though there are some VW here, I am not sure how they are being kept on the road. I drive a Nissan that was never sold here and cannot get parts! New cars here are friggingly expensive, even if you convert it into AUD. A watershed of 2nd hand car dealers everywhere. Sneaky ones, too. So be careful, mileage is mostly wound back. You need to make up your own mind about it and check it with somebody knowledgeable, if you are not.

Rent first, then look around. The market in the moment is flush with properties to rent and buy, especially in Suva.

As to conducting business with expats and locals, well, this is my personal opinion, but trust yourself and your family. Nobody else. Get opinion from as many people as possible about a person that you want to do business with, take everything with a grain of salt. Check and check again. I admit that I am a little bitter with the subject, but why loose money? Never conduct business with a "she'll be right, mate" mindset. I am guessing that that is unnecessary to mention, but still.

Hope this helps and did not confuse entirely... :)

Welcome on board Lisa&Michael ;)

Can anyone recommend a shipping/removalist company?

You can contact our partner for a free quote & professional tips: https://www.expat.com/en/movers/oceania/fiji/

Any suggestions on health insurance?

https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/oceania/fiji/

Hope this helps!

Regards

I'm going to have to disagree about bringing your own car. Don't!
First of all, no cars or trucks over 5 years old, are allowed in the country. (I know yours is 2). The you have the costs of duty, VAT...etc. Which you will not be able to get a quote on before you get here, but could be huge. Then, the space it would take up in your container, is better used for more important household/building things.
Sell the vehicle before you get here, and use the money to by one local.

g

Greg, since I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to bringing your own car, wasn't there something about some reduced tax rate if it's your own for more than X years, or so? Does the age restriction apply for a private import?

Regarding brining a car into the country--yeah, it's a pain. Best bet is to use a company that knows what they're doing since you can get the runaround quite a bit when trying to do it yourself (and it can be expensive). I've used A-1 Auto Transport in the past and been happy with them, but you're mileage may vary. It's definitely worthwhile to compare some prices and above everything else, make sure you deal with a person or company that is VERY familiar with the area(s) in which they work.