Neophyte

Hi!.. Im planning to live in Davao, that is why I am interested about the culture and cost of living before moving there.

Neophyte, Since you tell subscribers nothing about yourself whatsoever, apart from you are planning to live in Davao, I wonder do you expect other expats to spend their time writing informative, helpful replies? I think not, but then my thinking is rather old fashioned. Peter.

DAWIGOY wrote:

Hi!.. Im planning to live in Davao, that is why I am interested about the culture and cost of living before moving there.

@ Neophyte - A very interesting question from a native filipino….  Since you come from Kalinga (according to your profile), what major cultural differences or adjustment were you expecting in Davao?  I would think that other than your current proximity to Baguio (you being much closer than most of us), you could have slight climate adjustments but very little culture adjustments vs. a foreigner.

With a focus on culture - My best guess would be to review the following regional languages and adjust according to your family background:

Kalinga, Philippines - Aklanon Bikol Cebuano, Chavacano, Hiligaynon, Ibanag, Ilocano, Ivatan, Kapampangan, Karay-a, Maguindanao, Maranao, Pangasinan, Sambal ,Surigaonon, Tagalog, Tausug, Waray, Yakan

Davao, Philippines - Davaoeño Cebuano, Chinese, Filipino, English, Davaoeño Spanish, Japanese, Ilocano, Tausug, Manobo, Maranao

With a focus on climate - I am sure you are aware of the 4 Climate types (according to the Modified Corona Classification of Climate) in the Philippines (i.e.,  Types 1-4).  Kalinga is mostly within the Type 3 Classification with some Type 2 zones. 

Type 3 = "The dry season extends from November to April, while the rest of the year is considered the rainy season, the heaviest rains usually occurring from July to October"

Davao is considered to be Type 4.

Type 4 = "Rainfall is more or less evenly distributed throughout the year. This climate type resembles the type 2 more closely since it has no dry season.")

Type 2 = "No dry season with a very pronounced maximum rain period from December to February. There is not a single dry month. Minimum monthly rainfall occurs during the period from March to May."

With a focus on COL - Part of what I used to select my retirement location out of Southern California were sites that contained maps or calculations on cost of living (COL) comparisons.  The main digital media source I leaned on showed these results:

Cost of living in Manila is 50% cheaper than in Santa Ana, California  (I lived 17 miles from Santa Ana).

For your purposes, the following may be of help:

"Cost of living in Davao is 33% cheaper than in Cebu City".  The website (Map of Cost of Living in Philippines) shows your two locations to be matched as similar COL… so it appears to be a wash.

My first time to read such a question from a Filipino…  well best wishes!

Source:  http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-livin … hilippines