Current Storm Season

hey, DR north coast...get any real rain?

Nope hardly a drop and things are getting  desperate.

Bob K

That's scary...but also something to cosider when building a home that you'd like to be as off grid as possible.  To that end, we were wondering is there is a paint/coating out on the market for a conrete roof to make roof rain capture do-able.

Easy to create a system that empties into a system to capture the water.  You need to treat your roof here anyway so you don't get water filtration into the concrete roof.

The generic name for this type of product is elastermeric, a roof coating.  It also is a great paint to use on exterior roofs.  Make sure that there is enough pitch to the roof to avoid ponding water that will degrade the product.  For cisterns I'v always used Thoroseal.  Both coatings are non-toxic & very stable when correctly applied.   In general when sizing cisterns use this formula: a minimum of 5,000 gallons per bedroom. If more info required PM me or I'm sure "Texas" can provide information as well as a few others on the site.

Hi

My husband and I are due over to DR 2 weeks today  :) for a holiday! We heard various reports of hurricane damage from Danny & Erika but cannot find anything solid on BBC, Google etc. Can one of you friendly expats living in DR let us know the truth. Any damage to Puerto Plata and surrounding area?

Thank you,

Bev :-)

Very light damage.  Welcome to this glorious island for the 2 weeks., Not enough to deter you from your visit. Relax & explore the beautiful North shore. You will want to come back again for a much longer stay.  The storm was really not much more than a thunder storm with some extra wind at times.  You won't notice a thing from it.

Hey

Thanks so much, I can now go back to looking forward to my holiday!
For the record, not been yet and don't want to come home already.  :)

Happy Saturday,
Thanks again
Bev :-)

What damage??  What hurricane???

Neither storm had any impact here, and neither was a hurricane.  We so desperately  need the rain but neither gave us much of that either.

So pack the sunscreen :D

Bob K

I never worry about hurricanes here. I am not  that concerned, Earthquakes are more of a threat to me.

Maybe some relief late next week or weekend???

Will Grace pay us a visit???

Bob K

YWe we are now tracking Grace. At this point it is very early BUT conditions are not conducive to this storm creating issues for us. Maybe she will bring us some rain.....

That is all I am hoping for is RAIN.  Models do not have it becoming a hurricane and passing by the south coast, but that is just fine. We just want the rain. 

Starting to contemplate the cost or re-sodding our lawn come spring as I don't think will survive this prolonged draught.

Bob K

We are hoping for rain as well.

It looks like your chances will be better than ours

Currently 93F and heat index of 107  Yuck it is hot. Even the pool is over 90F

Bob K

Damn hot here too Bob.  The ocean is almost not refreshing....

Welcome to a normal temp & humidity here in central Fl. The difference is that we have almost daily rain at this time of year.  With the land being sand, not much percolates into the soil.  Many areas flood with up to 6 inches of rain. I mean real flooding. I'm lucky that my trailer is situated so that it doesn't affect me.  When  I was living in Sosua, (8+years) several times my apt. had knee deep water flowing through it. Needless to say, I soon moved to a second floor abode.  Wish ya'll sufficient rain soon.  May "Grace" shine grace on thee !!.

OMG There is a joke there somewhere but I'll be damned if I say it here...LOL

Looks like Grace is making a run for our south coast again.  We will be watching this nice lady to see what she does...

Looks like once again we will be the bride's maid with it passing well or south.  :(:(:(

Bob K

Dont count her out the storms have not followed what was expected this year.

I am hanging my hat on that

Bob K

According to all the websites I follow, it will be a depression before it gets closer. That is if it doesn't disappear before that as many of those did in the past.

Hope she hangs in long enough to give us some rain....

I will settle for  depression with rain so then maybe I won't be so depressed :D:D:D

Bob K

I hope for more rain too!!!! It is back to depression right now, so let's see :)

Fingers are still crossed.

Bob K

Not looking good for rain now.....

The drought must be pretty serious  when people are looking forward to Tropical Storms/Depressions and Huricane weather to hit DR.

Yes the drought situation is getting very serious and a good tropical storm or depression would be welcome

Bob K

It is serious, we have used up what the last storm  left us.  Likely to get a bit of rain here on south coast but the interior, north, southwest and north west are in dire straights.....

And I am told longest drought in recorded weather history.

Here about 1/2 the residents no longer have tap water.

Bob K

Are homes in DR built to with stand Hurricanes? On my trips to DR I noticed lots of concrete and brick construction. I guess there is no avoiding flooding but do the roof's stay on when the weather gets wild?

Yes most buildings are block and rebar

Bob K

When did we get any wild weather here? The concrete is the cheapest to build from, wood like in BC would be very expensive.
Still waiting for some rain and now, as of 11 AM, Grace is gone, so the dry and hot weather will continue.
Denise

Left standing at the alter yet once again

Bob K

I downloaded a ap for my phone which I use for golfing called weather radar or another Myradar weather.

To get a big picture of the local radar look here:
http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurric … imate=true

Bob K

Another great location: http://www.spaghettimodels.com/

One issue with programs using radar -  is it doplar radar?  WE don't have that here.