FRIEND MISSING

I have an American friend by the name of Tony Shelver, mid 50's.  He is a really straight up good guy and I have not heard from him even after sending him numerous text messages and emails.  He is the kind of person who always replies so it is very out of character for him to go silent.  It is possible that he doesn't want to communicate, but I would doubt that, and that is why I am asking for any information to know of his well being.  That is my only concern here.

The last time he sent me a long text message saying he was pulling up stakes in Cagayan de Oro because he was breaking up with his girlfriend and business partner with whom he had a falling out.  The worst possible mix of gf and business partner is what concerns me.  In my estimation a possible motive for his "disappearance".  I am not normally an alarmist, but knowing how easy it is to hire an assassin, and the frequency with which that occurs here, I feel very concerned for his welfare. 

He mentioned that he was going to travel more (via motorcycle) and look for another place to settle in the Philippines.  I hope that he is safe and on his way to a new life, but I can't help but be concerned.  Does anyone from CDO know Tony, or know of him?  Any information that will ease my mind.  I don't have any photos of him, but his ex-gf from Siquijor may, so I will try to contact her, if I can locate her.  Thanks ahead.

Hi Mr. Reddit,

Welcome to Expat.com!

You can also post an advert in the missing people in Cagayan de Oro section.

I wish you good luck.

Hello Mr. Reddit,

There is little if anything that our members can do here, other than be on the lookout for a 50ish, white guy on a motorcycle, which certainly isn't going to produce a heck of a lot of results.

Have you contacted the US Embassy in the Philippines or local authorities with your concerns? That is really what you SHOULD be doing in this case.

I tend to agree with you that it would seem rather strange that your friend simply disappear from the map following a "falling out" with his girlfriend and business partner. (Sounds like there's a bit of an interesting story behind that too).

I truly hope that we're both wrong and your friend is either taking some much needed time to recover from what has gone on, or that he's too embarrassed about his situation to communicate for a while. At any rate, it is a genuine worry that he may be the victim of foul play of some kind, so do contact the authorities.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

I am not asking anything that the members should do except inform me if they know him, or know of him.  That's all.  If I get no response, then I will follow your suggestion and contact the authorities.  I did not want to needlessly escalate to that level until I exhausted other possibilities.

Have you considered the fact that if you do not contact the authorities immediately, that when you finally do, it may already be too late?

The situation, given the problems with the girlfriend and business partner, are worrisome to say the very least. This is exactly what the US Embassy in the Philippines is responsible for... THE WELLBEING OF US CITIZENS IN THAT COUNTRY.

They certainly will take your concerns quite seriously and act upon them. That's their job, so don't feel like you're putting them out in any way.

The Philippines IS NOT the USA, not nearly as safe a country. I think you should act now, rather than wait until later. I know if it were a friend of mine, I wouldn't just hope he's alright, I'd make sure I did everything in my power to verify that he's alright, even at the risk of causing him some miinor embarrassment.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Dude,

If you are in ph. You file a blotter as missing person.  You can report it to the police or nbi. I am quite afraid of your friend safety. If you need help i can give a contact person in pnp to help you. this is a serious matter.

Missing people are not uncommon, and it's usually just a change of telephone number and not bothered to check emails.
However, disappearing after trouble with business and girlfriends would suggest a more aggressive approach to locating him would be in order.

Thanks for your help.  Can you send me the contact name and phone number.  My concern with contacting the PNP is that they will not take it seriously.

Sir,
Are you in philippines now.

Fortunately, my friend is found.  There is a bit of a story to that, but the reason he couldn't be reached by phone is that his ex gf stole his phone and only just yesterday was he able to retrieve the sim.  I am not sure of the context yet, but at least I know he is safe.  Thanks to you all who responded.