Getting a visa and longer term teaching job

Hi

I'm Chris from South Africa and I am hoping to explore Cambodia and Thailand from November 2015 onwards.

I will be completing the TEFL course in Hua Hin in December.

After that I am told I have a better chance of getting a visa and longer term teaching job in Cambodia than in Thailand as I do not have a degree. Is this true?

Advice would really be appreciated as I will only be able to support myself without a job for a short time.

Regards
Chris

Crish,

Hello buddy and welcome.  On your question on teaching, you are able to teach ESL if your a native speaker or comes from a country that speaks mostly English.  A TESOL or TEFL certificate will help you greatly along with experience.  So get your certificate find a job if not volunteer somewhere to get experience.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Cambodia forum.

hi chris,

i'm a75 yr old recent expat (5 mos) in Snooky. after my 1st mo,after having to visit the Thai border (Koh Kong) to renew visa i ordered a 1 yr visa ($290 approx) to eliminate future border runs. most expats here in Cambo,after moving from Thailand, find they like it MUCH better ! (last week bombing didn't help either !) ***and hear what you'll need to do when you've made your choice. good luck and stay well !
dave

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : Free advertisement is not allowed on the forum + please register your comapny in our business direcotry
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you very much gentlemen. Appreciate the advice.

Will be touring Thailand first since I will be there for the course but hoping to.come to Cambodia right afterwards.

Hi Chris, my name is Hannes and I stay and work in Phnom Penh. You can come to Cambodia and walk into any school, with your TEFOL you will find a job. Stay away from agents as the schools hire directly. The agents here are mostly from Thailand that just want to make a fast buck.

Any help to get my work permit visa from my home country(Africa) to teach in Cambodia?

Hi,
I have a Celta certificate, but a misdemeanor "obstruction of justice" on my record. Will I have trouble getting a job offer, or a work visa?
Thanks for your help. This has been distressing.
And if you have similar knowledge for other countries near, like Vietnam, that would also be helpful.
Thanks again

Hello, am from Uganda (Africa),i have a pending job offer in Cambodia .Is it easy to get an entry visa in Cambodia. Because we dont have any embassy of Cambodia around East Africa.  Please help

You can apply for one online at https://www.evisa.gov.kh  and pay with your credit card. I got mine within two working days. One can only apply for a tourist visa  online.

Thanks Liza

Good morning/afternoon ladies and gents. If you have a degree in English from an American university does getting a TEFL certificate really open more doors in Cambodia/other SE Asian countries?

Good day ladies and gentlemen, I am Michael Ayo Adeoti from Nigeria. Am in cambodia with tourists visa due to the fact that there is no cambodia embassy in my country, please how can I get E visa which will give me permission to work and others.