Visitor visa

As a Canadian citizen do I require a visitors visa for a 6 month stay in Malta.

Canadian citizens using Canadian passports do not require a visa to enter Malta for tourism or business stays under ninety (90) days.

As already said you can stay for up to 3 months in the Schengen area including Malta.

Schengen visas are not extendable.  To stay longer you would have to apply for residency in Malta but it involves the usual difficulties for thir-country nationals. Don't count on it being granted.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you for the information.  Can I leave Malta and go to Italy or Greece for a few days and return for another 90 days?

A big no ! It is 90 days within 6 months .

Cheers
Ricky

Ok let me rephrase this. We are a retired couple from Canada and wish to live in Gozo for just under 6 months. ( tired of the snow ) What are Malta's  requirements for a stay of this length. We will be there solely as tourists.We plan to stay in Malta for November,December and January and then go to Spain for two weeks and returning to Malta for approximately three more months. Is this a possibility. Thank You

no ,
as a non eu- national your only entitled to stay in Europe- 90 days in any 6 month period  if your coming as a tourist
this being  you cannot stay in Malta for 90 days then travel to Spain for two weeks as its still part of the schengen area  ... this would apply to all countries in the schengen area ...

if you want to stay longer than the 90 day period then you would need to apply for residency - to do this you would need to meet the financial requirements , have healthcare etc

You should contact the Maltese embassy in Toronto to see if they are willing to give you a long-term national ( D) visa for Malta. I have heard in the past that they do not issue them.

The other option is , like Rob says, to come on the Schengen visa and when you are in Malta to apply for temporary residency for another 3 months.Don't count on it being issued though!

To apply for residency you will need health insurance . Travel insurance will not be accepted for residency purposes.

This is the link to the department you will be dealing with:

https://identitymalta.com/citizenships-expatriates/

Cheers
Ricky