Cost of living in Mongolia

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Mongolia.

Don't forget to mention where in Mongolia you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Mongolia?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

> accommodation prices- One bedroom flat 600-1000 USD p/m

> public transportation fares- (bus- 300₮ everywhere you go)(Taxi- 500₮ per km, long distance-negotiate)

> food prices(per month, for me as a single man- 200-250 USD)

> health prices (expat medical insurance- 600-1200USD p/year)

> eduction prices (universities- 1800-2500USD p/year)(Secondary education- free)

> energy prices (Petrol AE 92 Unleaded- 1350₮, electricity-kwэ/hrs=79.8₮, water=m3- 207.5₮, heating=m3- 291.5₮)

> common bills (Internet-10-30USD p.m, cable television-10$ p/m, telephone-20-30USD p/m, mobile phone= 40-70$ p/m)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant- 1 person= 20-30USD

> prices of a beer=2000-6000₮ and coffee=2500-4500₮ in a regular pub

> price of the cinema= 5000-7000₮

($1USD= 1300₮)current rate

thank you for the details...

Are there no answers to these questions on the blog?

Now I get it--Thank you, Tamir Bud.  :o)

I want to type food prices here now, incase someone cares and also so I can store them for a safe place to see how much they increase during the winter.

In my experience, the cheapest place for fresh food goods in UB is the Баянзүрх Зах.  Around here, during the last 2 months, the prices in ₮/kg were as follows.
Potato = 600-800
Cabbage = 500
Carrot = 500
Beetroot/Turnip = 600-800
Onion = 700-900
Capsicum = 2000
Banana = 2500
Apple = 1500-2000
Tomato = 2000

Meat nearly seems about the same everywhere.  3500 for sheep, 4200-4500 for chicken drumsticks and 4500-5000 for beef.

I dont know what the guy who spends 250$ a month eats.  But I can eat well and healthily on less than 100$ a month.  That is a mixture of vegie and beef soup, vegie and beef curry and salad.  it is so cheap!

Thanks Tamir Bud & MrCamel,

Your answers are really helpful as I will be moving to UB soon.

Well, I had forgotten how cheap some of the things were during the Autumn that I arrived.  The prices are ridiculous now.  I went shopping today, but prices have been the same for a while

Potato = 800-1000
Cabbage = 1000
Carrot = 900
Beetroot/Turnip = 1200
Onion = 1000
Capsicum = 3500
Banana = 3500
Tomato = 3000-3500

Now, a kilo of sheep with a stupid hunk of bone in it will cost 6500.  Without bone, 7000.  Beef is 8500-9000.  Horse and goat is 6000-7000.  It is silly.

Hello All

First of all, I'm new to the forum. Looking to join my Mongolian girlfriend in UB soon.

For budgeting, just wondering how long $500 should last me, excluding accommodation expenses ?

Thanks very much!  And, keen to join the expat community when I get there.

I have heard that you can live comfortably in UB on $800 US a month, is this accurate?

Try this website www.numbeo.com

If your room and board are covered, $800 a month would be plenty.  If you're paying for room and board out of that it sounds pretty skimpy.

hello lees.

R u in Mongolia now? Do u need an apt to rent? rental price is different depending what you really want. Tatoo is considered COOL here. Nobody will care about it. you can find everything that modern city offers here. Only problem is air pollution during winter months. Some people do use some sort of mask. But very rare.

If you have a question you can ask.

Peace.

Hey @Tamir,

I read through all of this before I realized the post is some for years old.

If it's not a massive bother, could you perhaps refresh the Cost of Living piece? Be very useful to have a sense of what it's like now.

Thanks!

A.