Parrot Macaw - Bahrain

Good Morning Guys,

I'm looking to buy a new Macaw & i've heard rumors of a certain market on a morning in Isa Town & just wondered if anyone had any info on this ?

Also any pet shops available to buy.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

hi Jamie,

check this out.

Parrot Macaw

cheers!

Hi Jamie,
I strongly suggest against it. Please refrain from buying birds from local markets and/or shops, they have terrible conditions and are crammed into small cages. If you want to buy a bird, try and find a breeder, they will generally have better conditions (But beware still, even then some keep them in poor conditions). Please beware, birds don't forget things, so it is very difficult training them if they have had a very tough background.
I would be careful, birds don't show signs of illness until it is too late! They will seem fine in the market/shop/breeder because they try to look as healthy as possible but then when you see it ill, it dies quickly!!!
I would strongly suggest getting them in pairs or so, as 1 will get too shocked on his/her own and be very lonely and scared.
The problem in Bahrain is that people are not educated on how to properly care for birds here, you actually need a proper diet for them (seeds are treats for them not proper food), they need proper toys and perches (I haven't seen any being sold here but you can make it yourself out of branches [check if tree is safe for birds] and some paper and stuff).
Bird training is not an easy task, please please google how to properly care for any type of bird you are buying and try and accommodate as much as you can. Birds can become one of the best companions. I wish you the best of luck!