Cost of living in South Africa

Try this website for cost of living etc numbeo.com

I will be relocating to Pretoria with a family of two boys (3 and 8) and a wife. Kindly advise the cost of living in terms of accommodation, food, etc

Hi there

I am from South Africa, Cape Town.

If its in Cape Town , I could advise you.

Food prices that  are cheap would be best in Cape Town central area, Im nnot sure what cruisine you into, but around 3$ for Indian food,a popular Indian food restaurant in Darling street in the central town area.Do not go to the vna area, you will be paying thru your neck.

Accomodation is generally expensive.
Public transort safe.
Meter taxis (all foreigners from outside the areas, West Africa)generally ripping the tourists off, be careful and lying about them being SA citizens.

Hope I wwas of help.

regards
K

I lived in Pretoria in a gated community and a two bedroomed townhouse in a safe gated community in Pretoria East was US$800 (of course rent would be in rands).
For food and groceries for 2 adults and one 5 year old we spent about US$1000 including fuel. Eating out we spent around US$400 a month. Preschool we paid US$220 a month for a private one where all teachers had degrees. Their standards were so high and there was value for our money (kids would come as early at 6:30 am and leave at 5:30pm.
utilities cost were mostly electricity and was normally between US$40 to US$70 a month.
Car insurance we had "pay as you drive" and paid at most US$90 a month (of course we didn't do long drives). Mostly we would drive around Pretoria ad a few trips to Johannesburg. If you do long trips costs might be very high and pay as you drive might be very expensive. We also had a tracking system.With car insurance you have to take your time and choose reasonable ones because some they have very high charges. I would say, all in all we would spend between US$2500 and US$ 3000 for everything a month for a family of 3 (2 adults and a 5 year old)

The average price for a room in cape town is 150 USD to 300 USD depending on the area you will choose.

I need a room

Hi Slimbonny,

It seems like you are off topic here :whistle:

I suggest you post in the Rooms for rent in South Africa section please :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

[off topic]

yes the cost of living in south Africa has gone up a lot..yet that is not the only consideration that has to be taken when settling in that country. CRIME is horrendous ! and the money devalues constantly so do not dream on saving for the future. Private medical insurance is a must and dare not to go to public hospitals.
Good luck to you , i just got out of that lovely country where i spend most of my life .