Do I need to give a deposit when renting an apartment?

Hi Guys,

I'm Nicolas and planning to move to Montreal in few months. My question is will I have to give a deposit before I rent an apartment?If yes, how many months advance should I pay? Secondly is the utility fees and internet included in the rental?

Thanks.

In Montreal a landlord can only charge the first month's rent in advance, there is no security deposit or key deposit, however this law is NOT always enforced, so be prepared.

No, none of the utilities are included in the apartment rent (unless otherwise specified). You will almost certainly have to pay for electricity, gas, telephone, internet, and possibly even cable television if TV is not provided.

Also it is a wise idea to arrange private fire insurance for renters that also covers third party liablilty. Just remember that in Canada if you have a fire (that the cause is traced to you) you will be required to pay for ALL of the damages done, not only to your apartment, but any others involved as well. That could wipe you out financially if you don't have insurance coverage.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James,

Thanks a lot for the information. What about if I want to move to another apartment?Should I give any notice to the landlord prior?

You may be asked for the first and last month ( just in case you skip town w/o paying). Depending on where and from whom you will be renting, utilities and heating are included ( especially in the high-rises in downtown montreal ). If you are renting from a landlord with 3-6 aparts in his building , you may have to pay for your own utilities and heating.

I used to live in downtown when I was at uni and that was the M.O. Good idea to have insurance.
When you sign the lease to rent ( which is for one year, according to the Québec law, unless you can reach an agreement - a signed one btw) , it will be mentioned that either one of you should give a three months' notice either to repossess the apt or to leave.