PLEASE DON'T TRY AND COMPARE BRAZIL TO HOME

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11863497_994081077302307_6168969711302947824_n.jpg?oh=ef92571baaabee6400be659d93557b79&oe=5637E744&__gda__=1446402350_91bdd95967b78cdf7b44a106b3e0a17f

Many expats come to Brazil and make the mistake of trying to compare everything here to the way things are at home. Worse still, some even come here and seem bent on trying to turn the country into a Xerox copy of what they left behind. Don't be one of them, because you are only letting yourself in for great disappointment and it will really hinder your successful adaptation to living in this country. Just like Dorothy said in The Wizard of Oz, "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto!"

So the next time you're tempted to make a comparison, or wonder why things are so different here, or get a bad case of the "over home" bug (the one where you say "Well it's not like this over home"), just take a look at the map above which compares the Brazilian states to the country nearest in size to that state. Is your country free of problems? I bet not! Can you begin to imagine the problems that are going to exist in a country that is as big as these 27 different nations? Just remember that many of the problems here have existed for the 550 plus years since Brazil was discovered too. If you think you're going to change that, best think again.

Sure, there are a lot of things wrong with this country. What country doesn't have something wrong with it? The sooner you realize that you should just accept Brazil for what it is, exactly as it is, the better off you're going to be. We can all gripe about it, that's no problem. Just don't expect that things are going to change... get it off your chest and let it go.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

I James
I think your wrong, I believe the State of Rio is Never land
the reason I say this, Is that everyone I have ever dealt with here in the state, of Rio.
Never rings you back, when they say there going to,
Never deliver, what there meant to, when they say they going to,
Never turned up, the time they have said, their going to
Never keep to the price, that agreed

Cant find Norway anywhere on the map ??? I feel insulted !! (Or maybe Brazil does not have any state small enough)

But seriously - pretty sure that most people who vent about Brazil did the same about their home country when they lived there (or wherever they have lived) But since most of us now live in Brazil of course we complain about Brazil.

My home country, as rest of Europe, is now receiving large numbers of refugees from various wars and unrest in the middle east and africa - even they complain about their new country. I do not think it is because they want to go back or change the country to their home country - it is just human nature to complain and vent.

Some of the "natives" get insulted but they would probably do the same if they where to move to another country. It does not mean they do not like it - again, just human nature

That could be said about every state in Brazil, unfortunately!  :lol:

But, since Peter Pan doesn't really exist I don't think that Neverland is a real country either, so we'll just have to go with what we've got on the map as much as I totally agree with your very apt assessment.

Oh, and don't forget to add to the list:

They never pay you back if you've loaned them money. (Because of course they considered it a gift in the first place)
They never think to phone you before just showing up at your door.
They never seem to have brought their wallet when everybody meets at the neighborhood "barzinho" for beer.

The list is long, but I'll stop here before I offend too many people.

Cheers,
James

I can`t not think of USA , Canada or Australia , they are all huge and developed , but Brazil ...? :unsure
What a waste of land . And now  a small country like Brunei in the center of Finland is sinking the hall ship  :lol: . :cheers:

Hi all
what I forgot to say
I love brazil and the way it is,
Brazil reminds me of England in the early 60s but with sun, and blue sky
so home sweet home for me then

Me too, I love Brazil even with all its warts and wrinkles. I may joke about the country and her people, but it's always just poking fun at them. There's no place I'd rather be, and I think Brazilians are just great.

In some countries (which shall go un-named) if you drop in the street with a heart attack, you can guarantee you'll die. People just walk over you. In my homeland (Canada) someone will show up in a few minutes to help you in any way they can. But here in Brazil they'll carry you to the hospital on their backs if need be!!! I've seen that with my own eyes. They don't come much better than that in my books.

Maybe its all down to the language
if you look at the country's settled by the British, and how far ahead they are in the world ????

The british in  Guyana , the dutch in Suriname or the french in French Guyana didn`t managed to do any better than the portugues did with the land of Pau-Brasil  and not to mention the spanish , what did they do with all this land of latin america .

Ok, so why do yo think a large country like brazil is so far behind the other large country's of the world,,
you could say the brattish isles are  small, and they are but they think BIG

Spanisshpete, the theory about that,is that Europeans came to South America (and Africa) to plunder ressources but never to found a new homeland like in North-America. It creaed a disfunctional society and some inequalities which stay until now.
There is also the theory that : too much ressources available without working/cultivating, create a society where effort and planification are not necessary to survive creating a society not adapted to modern challenges.
This is true for primitive societies but also nowodays. Too much ressources (minerals and petrol) is definitely a curse for non-developped countries. Rare those who have been able to use their "free" ressources to push their devellopment. This is creating corruption, inequality and remove focus from progress, education.

ok I think you maybe right with some of what you say
so there must be something else, that "has" held back the whole of south America,, or could it be that, the Europeans and north America have, and still are "held back" the whole of south America

Well I agree actually with you. I think also that it is a bit too easy to blame a few hundred years old colonization for nowadays problems. I was just trying to find excuse to Brazilians.

haha I guess you've never been to South Africa Spanishpete....It's English speaking(on the tv and in the shops and company's anyway) and it's at least equal to brazil , if not falling behind rapidly

it sounds like its changing because its changed, nothing stays the same