I am really counting on your experience and knowledge

Hi there, dear expats!
I am considering to move in Utrecht in the next 1-2 months following a job offer. I am specifically interested in something I cannot find on any official site or forum so far, so I am really counting on your experience and knowledge. I am coming with my car, but since I am not sure due to home sickness and change of life should I stay for a significant time, I am wondering is there an official way to register the car for paying the road tax, but keeping my original EU plates and my homeland insurance policy (with coverage in whole EU), let's say for a year ahead. I prefer to know that before I come, since I should prepay and arrange everything at home before I arrive.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Primadonna wrote:
magnum_rex wrote:

Hi there, dear expats!
I am considering to move in Utrecht in the next 1-2 months following a job offer. I am specifically interested in something I cannot find on any official site or forum so far, so I am really counting on your experience and knowledge. I am coming with my car, but since I am not sure due to home sickness and change of life should I stay for a significant time, I am wondering is there an official way to register the car for paying the road tax, but keeping my original EU plates and my homeland insurance policy (with coverage in whole EU), let's say for a year ahead. I prefer to know that before I come, since I should prepay and arrange everything at home before I arrive.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Welcome on board  :cheers:

I found a website which can help you more, It is from the RDW and unfortunately for  you its only in Dutch.

https://www.rdw.nl/Particulier/Paginas/ … o/Invoeren

According to this site you are allowed to use your own car for a short period without changing your license plate but you have to pay taxes and you have to register your car. How this works, you can find it in the link above.

Good luck!

Thank you, Primadonna!

I am bit confused, since my post has been moved to another theme, but anyway :). I found quite strange to force registration in Holland for all imported vehicles within 2 weeks, especially considering the piles of Polish and other foreign reg.plates in Holland. It seems I will hope for an impression from an insider :).

Registration means you have to pay taxes to use the roads, (maintenance and construction) like everybody else who owns a car, it doesn't matter if you are a frequent driver of not.

I know what you mean but this is the legal way to do so.

I understand - of course it is normal to pay the tax for using the roads - like the toll systems in many other EU countries, but forcing changing the plates?....... It seems too much to me.

Hi magnum_rex,

I have merged all your posts in one single thread

All the best

Julien

Then don't bring your car or don't come. We all have to pay our taxes and abide by the laws of the country. If you do not like them then you have an easy option.

You cannot drive a car in the Netherlands until your car has been inspected by RDW, even though you are an EU citizen. There are special conditions if your car is over 30 years old.
https://translate.google.nl/translate?h … rev=search

keithwlp wrote:

Then don't bring your car or don't come. We all have to pay our taxes and abide by the laws of the country. If you do not like them then you have an easy option.

So, what's that hate? If you have made the effort to read my post, you would see that I am looking for an official way to pay the taxes but keep my own country registration. Thus, I find your reply xenophobic - a bit strange for that forum.

I you read my second post yo will see that you cannot keep your own country's registration. By trying yo do this you will avoid paying any car tax and this is illegal. What i wrote was not hate, but stating a fact. As I said you have two options either ring your car and register it or leave it in your own country.

Changing your license plate is to let others know that your car has been registered. That's all.
Maybe you can keep your original plate and when you want to go back just change it.

Thank you, Primadonna!
Now it is clear.

magnum_rex wrote:

Thank you, Primadonna!
Now it is clear.

:top:

In general, if you are an EU citizen and are visiting another EU country, you do not need to re-register your car.  If you are living there (generally regarded to mean you have an address and working in that country), then you need to re-register your car and insure it in the new country.  The car will have to undergo and pass a technical inspection before they will issue you with a Dutch registration number/document.

There are some derogations for diplomats and other similar groups.  You'll also need to apply for a driving licence in your new country of residence (if you have a current EU licence, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hi, I miss one thing in this discussion.
Are you registering yourself in the Netherlands, when not it will be not even possible to register your car in the Netherlands. Applying for a fiscaalnummer, is not the same as taking residence.